Doing MCSE on the cheap!

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by wayne, Aug 24, 2006.

1. wayne

wayne Bit Poster

Dear All,

I really want to... infact I *need* to get MCSE certification. The thing is, I am clean broke. I think I could just about scrape money for exams, but as for doing the courses there is no chance. So it looks like self teaching. But the books seem very very expensive.

Are ther any websites dedicate dto providing what you need to pass the exams and learn the material.

By the way, I want to learn the stuff, I don't just want the qualification using cheat sheets.

Byt the way, I checked the FAQ section and the resources link is dead.

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

The only way to do it is to try and scrape the money together for the books, I find I remember a lot more if I'm actually reading a book and not reading off the screen.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

wayne i agree that if you dont want to use illegal methods to study then books are your only option..

I crated a thread on Self Studying here, give it a good read my friend because it can be done...

Since you on a tight budget you need to think ahead.. so for now you will need a pc or two to practice with..get a crossover cable (from a good IT shop) to link the 2 together for now...

This will be the book you will need: MCSA/MCSE Installing,Configuring,& Administering Windows XP Professional ISBN: 0735621527

check these places out http://www.abebooks.co.uk list used and new books at book prices and www.ebay.co.uk might have a bargin in there...

i hope that gives you a good start

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

What experience do you have?

I reckon that it would be possible to do it just by reading the white papers and other stuff in the Microsoft knowledge base and technet, which is all free.

If you go to the relevant forum here and check out the topics covered you will see exactly what it is that you have to study, then you can start searching the Internet. All the information is on the net. However, a lot of the stuff on the Internet is written in a very dry and boring style, which is why people prefer to get a book or three that is dedicated to the exam topics.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. wayne

wayne Bit Poster

Thanks for the help all.

Ended up just splashing out and bought Managing & Maintaining Windows Server 2003. Means I'll probably miss a night out next month but I guess sacrafices have to be made.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hmm why you starting out with a Server exam? the client ones are alot *easier*...... also i hope you got the second edition of the book...:rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I thought you said you were broke! A night out not had one in years!:eek:

8. YottaMedia

YottaMedia Bit Poster

Hey

I'm at the local college doing an MCSA course - actually called the iPro where u do the xp pro and server exams, 270, 290 and 291. They also throw in three OCR (oxford Cambridge something) modules on project management, designing an upgrade etc etc - so in fact u get a lot more than just the MS exams. the OCR modules however are not all that great, but what they are is the enabler to get 100% funding for the whole course. Did I say thats a tutor led, 7-8 week course over 8 months, with exam fees included. It's available through Lets ProfI.T which i fear is only a company that caters for Cornwall and Devon. Basically you pay £700 and then get £100 back for each module you complete. Oh, and we've also had the MCDST exams bundled into one of the OCRs, AND the MS Project exam. So that's 6 MS exams, 3 other official vocational qualifications, all worth 3 alevels by the end of it (plus MCSA, DST and one MOS).
    BTW I guarantee im more skint than u with £14k over my head and £0 coming in most weeks, as it has been for about 6 months, so I have managed to blag not paying a penny so far, and they already need to pay me back £100 for doing the 70-270 today. I'm basically paying for the course as I go with £100 rebates that should come to me but are going straight to the college to pay for the £700 that they need to get the full course cost of £2800 funded.

Basically - ALL FREEEEE TUTOR LED COURSE INC EXAMS!! yeehawa!

Certifications: MCSA & A+
    WIP: MCSE CCNA