doing ccna what to buy plz?

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by zizobouta, Nov 14, 2015.

1. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

Hi mates,
    im doing ccna at the moment 4 module. i wannt to buy some real equipments ;routers and switches to practice while im doing this course? can you plz advise me which routers and switches and how many each should i buy?
    your help is appreciated

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I'm no expert but can't you use virtual hardware? Live racks I think they're called.. would be alot cheaper.

3. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

Hi juelz, some are cheap on ebay. i need real equipment for real world. i enjoy doing that and playing with cables. ill have to buy them but don t know how many of each

4. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

Hello,
    I've followed and bought equipment from this ebay seller for a number of years. The kit in the link is a 2811 router and a 3750 (layer 3) switch which is right for the CCNA in my view and enables you to expand it for the CCNP should you wish to go down that road. They also sell individual pieces of kit so you could build up slowly if you need to. On ebay there are obviously lots of other sellers too for Cisco equipment, so please look around and choose the right seller for you.

I would also suggest you take a look at GNS3* and/or Cisco Packet Tracer as you should be able to learn the majority of concepts for CCNA using these tools, however you don't get "hands-on" with these.

*Note you need a Cisco IOS image to apply to the devices you add in GNS3.

Best of luck with your studying.

5. zizobouta

zizobouta Bit Poster

Thank you crazy horse for advice , will look at the ebay link for sure.

6. heky2k

heky2k New Member

For CCNA I would suggest GNS3 (if you are good with computers). Packet Tracer (Easy to install and jump right in) PT is limited. Remember its a simulator and an emulator. If you have money buy yourself a 3550 switch and a 2600 router.