Does your AV stack up?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Raffaz, May 24, 2007.

1. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Can this be right, NOD below norton etc:eek:
    http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/004468.html

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nobody said Norton isn't good at stopping viruses, it's just too bloated and expensive and slows computers down to a crawl.

#5 Symantec 97.77%

#9 AVG 96.15%

For me a free solution (AVG) which doesn't bog the system down, wins every time :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Bear in mind that the stats for AVG arent just going to consider free, but their professional products too.

I use free on my XP machine, and my Lappy, but I had to upgrade to Pro on my Vista, since free doesnt support x64.

I've never had any major issues with either version to be honest. clean, simple, and ive never had a virus. (The only actual issue was on the wireless laptop - since it didnt establish a connection before id logged in, AVG errored on its update because of no connectivity. it meant i had to manually kick off an update every week when it cried about it).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

To be honest i dont think that Gissoft take any virus finding stopping capability out of the free version.. i use both the free and the paid for (for business purposes) and as far as i can tell only the scheduling is better in the paid for version.

5. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Yes well Norton's stops EVERYTHING - including the PC :biggrin

After February isnt the latest copies of AVG no longer free?

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Still a free version out there mate, they just upgraded to V7.5 and no-longer support V7.1.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

They also hid the link for the free version. you had to hunt for it a bit to find it.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

:respct AVG rocks

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Am using AVG too no problems only updating can be up and down mostly. But all in all AVG hands down.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm an eset NOD32 person, preferring the very fast, assembly language-written engine with a tiny footprint.

I used to use Norton and McAfee (which didn't catch everything on my system). I recall that after uninstalling McAfee and installing NOD32 then scanning, NOD32 found malware that McAfee completely missed. Wish I also had the opportunity to do the same test against Norton.

So what does 95.4% exactly mean as opposed to 97.8%? I know that it's being picky, but these stats mean very little. Also the sample set that they used these tools against - how representative is it? Does it reflect the infections common to a business environment or home user? :rolleyes:

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. Raffaz

Im a big NOD fan, id be interested to know how these results are sorted. I just cant believe that a POS like norton has came out better than NOD :)

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

On the subject of Norton, I have never understood how it manages to protect so well. Viruses are written everyday, yet their updates are released every few days. :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Raffaz

Its probably because norton slows ya system down so much, that the viruses give up trying to get in and move on.:)

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Classic! :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I may be cynical but, as the tests were done by PC World (who i woulndt trust to defrag my pc let alone virus check it!) and they mainly sell Norton, and Norton comes tops in thier tests, Would it be safe to assume that the testing was done unbiased???

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  16. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I use AVG on my windows machines and nothing on my Linux machines. Never had a problem with either. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  17. SamSixty

SamSixty Bit Poster

I don't use AV but if I did I would use Nod32, I used it for a long time and it is super fast and light but I have not had a virus since the Blaster worm in 2003 so I stopped using AV software.

I am sure i will regret it one day but for now I am happy.

As far as norton goes, I would rather have a virus. :dry

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Um.. if you don't have any AV software installed, how do you know you haven't got any malware?

Sam.. you are driving without a seatbelt :wink:

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

From my own personal experience and i have tried this on numerous occasions.. i have had to clean up systems with antiviruses ranging from Nortons, TrendMicro to Kaspersky infact most of the major brands. These antivirus systems report the machine as clean yet uninstall them and pop on NOD32 and you will 90% (zimbo stats and the machine is visually affected i.e. popups etc) find some form of infection. Stats are all cool but once you see your results in the field you go with the product you know will do the job.

JMO 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  20. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Most likely heuristics: trapping and reporting what is very likely to be a virus over what is 100% determined to be a virus.

Virus software has many structural characteristics and behaviours that sets it apart from other innocent software.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.