Does this kit list make sense for a CCNA/CCNP

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Andrew95, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

I have been offered the following kit to study for my CCNA exams. My question is, does this kit work as standard for the CCNA and does it scale to the CCNP. I have paid for equipment in the past which did not conform to the CCNA standard. I have been given what seems a fair price for the kit. Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew

1 x CISCO2610XM
    1 x WS-C2950-12
    1 x CISCO3640A with 2 x NM-2E2W, NM-1E2W & NM-4T
    1 x CISCO2651
    1 x CISCO2620
    1 x CISCO2523
    2 x WS-C2924-XL-EN
    8 x Kettle power leads
    3 x Console cables
    6 x CAT 5 cable
    3 x DTE-DCE cable

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP CCDP CCIE
  2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

1 x CISCO2610XM = YES
    1 x WS-C2950-12 = YES
    1 x CISCO3640A with 2 x NM-2E2W, NM-1E2W & NM-4T = YES
    1 x CISCO2651 = YES
    1 x CISCO2620 = YES
    1 x CISCO2523 = YES'ISH
    2 x WS-C2924-XL-EN = BIN THEM, I WOULD NOT EVEN BOTHER TO POWER THEM ON AND WASTE THE ELECTRICITY
    8 x Kettle power leads = YES
    3 x Console cables = YES
    6 x CAT 5 cable = YES, GET CROSSOVERS IF YOU CAN, SWITCH TO SWITCH CONNECTIONS
    3 x DTE-DCE cable = YES

For the CCNP ROUTE Lab it would be Ideal for a home lab to have at minimum 3 routers, 4 routers very good, 5 routers brilliant but hard work.

The CCNP SWITCH will require at minimum 2 x 2950's and 2 x 3550's. But be warned that the 3550 lack a couple of features such as PRIVATE VLANS, DAI and IP SOURCE GUARD, or at least I have not found any IOS with the DAI or IP SOURCE GUARD, although these last two concepts are easily understood simply from the book.

If I was to build the ideal home lab I would have 4 x 1841 routers.

In the ROUTE course we used to use 2610's but they were a little slow so now we have 1841's ISR routers for the CCNA course and CCNP ROUTE. They are faster and support everything you could possibly want. They rock, but at almoat £300 a pop they can hurt the pocket, but hey, they are fantastic little routers.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. Andrew95

Andrew95 Bit Poster

Thanks a lot Joe. Your help is much appreciated.

Andrew95

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP CCDP CCIE
  4. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

At school we have at least 2 1841 routers in each lab rack. I always try to get one of the 1841's to configure when working in groups the difference to me is pretty substantial.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  5. cisco lab rat

Pleasure sir.

Top trumps time: We use 3 x 1841's per student in London, no groups, no sharing........:biggrin (Then people ask why my shoes have holes in them :()

6. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Just so you know, you lose points in my book if you buy ready made Cat5 cables. :p

7. cisco lab rat

LOL, I agree, one has to learn to terminate their own cables, crimpers a few quid, RJ45's plugs and boots BOTH from commsexpress (DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY), some scrap cable and start making striaghts and crossovers, it is hard work but essential

A good crimper will last for years, I have one from Mills, the ratchet type, never let me down.