Does anyone know a lot about IT careers that can help me?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by adj10, Oct 22, 2010.

1. adj10

adj10 New Member

I'm at my wits end.

I would prefer to talk to someone directly (i.e. on the phone, skype, instant messaging whatever) because I want to talk to someone asap. Ill take any help I can get.

All I want is to talk to someone who can give me some general information as to how I can get into IT given my experience (or lack of). So far everything I've tried to do (working, training etc.) I'm not eligible for, even unpaid internships so I want to find out what I can do because so far my whole working life is a complete failure and I need to get it started :(

2. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

It would help people if you listed what activities you have been up to til now.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Make sure your CV is the best it can be and start applying for entry level jobs, i.e. field technician or help desk.

Back this up with an entry level certification or two, e.g. CompTIA's A+ and Network+

It's a hard market to get into at the moment and so you really do need to treat looking for a job as a full time job in and of itself. Good Luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

As Bluerinse says make sure your CV is spot on otherwise you will get nowhere. Search on the forums as there are plenty of CV threads with examples and help. As we don't know your background it's hard to give any further help apart from if you have no commercial experience then maybe doing some voluntary work would help. Getting some certs under your belt will help as well such as the A+ or Network+ and finally keep your chin up mate as IT is hard to break into so if your not working I would advise looking for work that isn't just IT related and use your salary to pay for IT study and equipment for a home lab.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
    Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Thats not really how forums work mate. Besides, why on earth would you trust just a single persons opinion (and thats all it will be, opinion). By posting on a forum, you get responses from lots of different people, you can then look for common advice (as thats most likely to be correct), and get advice from lots of different sides of the sector.

You want advice on how to get into the industry? well mate, thats kindof a speciality on these forums. Why listen to one voice when you can have many? no?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This.

Besides, none of us have an opinion, we can't be trusted to form one, so we rely on either JK or BM to give us one.

Seriously OP. Why do you want to work in IT? what have you tried? getting that first break is the hardest part and is probably the only role where luck is the biggest factor. It's not you, it's us.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You guys are in serious trouble when JK and I don't have an opinion on something. :twisted:

:p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!