Dodgy Pop Ups

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by madrob, Oct 4, 2003.

1. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

Hey Guys

Just installed broadband and with it Zone Alarm. i Went on that port scanner site and got 100% undetected. Excellent i thought. However I occasionally get "dodgy" pop up windows? Asking me to install this that and the other and tell me that "sweedish women like it best!" :eek: !

Any thoughts? Im not sure what to do bearin in mind im invisible!

Cheers guys and gals!

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Check if any messaging services have been installed.If there already there, then I think that they wouldn't be detected, because you may have unknowingly allowed it to install.

Just check the services and if there's anything dodgy then get rid of it.

Anyway, that's my advice at this late hour.

3. J.R.

J.R. Bit Poster

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I use zone alarm pro and it had "ad blocking" under the Privacy menu. Are you using the free version? does it have the same options. If not Flex's suggestions should sort the problem out. If you not sure what to do just ask.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Rob

M$ install and run by default the messenger service. This will allow messages to be sent over "the network". If you go into the Adminitrative Tool and disable the messenger service it will help.

HTH

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

You could also download PopUp Stopper - can't remember the url, but a quick Google brings it up no probs. :snipersm:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. madrob

madrob Nibble Poster

thanks fellas

all sorted now, found a few bits of things hiding away on my system, got Norton 2004 and now im alive and kicking again. Also found i had the Welch virus hiding away!

Anway, hopefully im pretty secure now.

Cheers!

WIP: CIW Master Designer
  8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

These pop ups are generated by the web sites that you visit, basically when you log onto the site there are excecuted on your machine so when you say that you are in full protected (stealth mode) you are invisable to port scans, pings etc but once you log onto a site then that site can see you (obviously) so it trys to install these progs

HTH

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346