Dodgy Hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jul 17, 2015.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

My laptop is a decent spec, i have and I7 processor and 8gb ram and it was very very fast etc.

Recently i have noticed that the performance has dropped but in bits and bobs. At first thought it was Chrome, but it ran like a bag of spanners using IE and FF.

Managed to do a check on it with some software called Aeomi, which found bad sectors and then i did the chkdsk /f to find and repair those bad sectors. I can tell now that its running better, however the bad sectors wont go or cant be fixed. I then tried using the same software to clone the disk partition onto another HD, however this will get stuck at 10% so I am at a loss where to go from here.

The cloning software was Aeomi and Macrium reflect and both come with the error that it has failed with and I//O error and gives me a random code

I am going to upgrade to a 256 ssd but seeing as im struggling with the cloning side i am open to other suggestions in what to do ?

Thanks for any advice

Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

You need to reformat. During a reformat bad sectors should get marked as permanently bad and then no longer used.
    If its just some general degradation this might be fine. Often its a sign the drives fecked, and you just get more and more over time and things get worse in terms performance and you risk data loss.

You dont want to clone, because a clone tried to copy the bad sectors, and they cant be read, some tools might be smart enough to skip them, but generally its not great idea.

Upgrade to SSD, do clean install, recover whatever files you can from old drive by sticking it in a caddy and pulling them off onto USB key ?

If you want to try to keep the laptop locked OS license, you will need to try to rescue the recovery partition or extract the windows license key from windows and get similar install media locked to your manufacturer most likely.
    In some cases you can turn the recovery partition into a set of recovery DVD's, so its all about investigating your options.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yeah, i was weighing up the options about 5 mins ago, i think a new ssd and ill get what files i can

Its working pretty well now but I can see it being an issue later on.

Cheers for the advice DM

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680