Document management software

Discussion in 'Software' started by skulkerboyo, Jun 22, 2009.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Hey
    I've been lumbered with looking at document management solutions to replace our crummy current system.
    We currently use Instate infile32 and for various reasons dont want to anymore. I've had our legal peron here harping on about Document locator by Scanex.
    I'm initially impressed but will need to look at other options even if she is hellbent on getting this in place.

Primarily we're after integrated doc scanning with advanced search and security features. That was basically all the brief I was given.

I've put together enough of a proposal to scare them away from infile which I've been wanting to do an "old yeller" on since I first came across it.

Anyone else play with document managemant software?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

We just use CVS, which keeps track of version history. If we need to search, we just search on the folders we've synchronized locally. Works for us.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. skulkerboyo

It had popped up in my travels but we need scanner integration not just document handling and version control

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. skulkerboyo

Looks along the lines of what I'm after. Will chek it out in the morning when my mind is slow and susceptable to sales gumpf

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I seem to remember talking to a customer a couple of years back about various options.

I know Xerox have various offerings; can't remember who the other solution provider was.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Full DMS systems include things like Documentum and Filenet. They tend to be overkill for anything but the largest organizations.

CVS is more a Source Code Control system or configuration management tool for developers. Theres loads of others like subversion and GIT. MS now have Team Foundation Server.

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think what we use may be overkill for your needs, but to throw it in the mix, we use Autonomy Interwoven.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yeah theres also Content Management companies like Vignette and Interwoven. The lines are pretty blurred between most content and document management products these days.

Many companies tend to throw in other stuff like portals and business intelligence into the mix too.

You could look at microsofts stuff with Office and Sharepoint. I expect they probably offer some of the functionality you're looking for.

10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Windows Sharepoint services.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. skulkerboyo

I would probably have gone for sharepoint but they're not very microsoft here:oops:

lots of suggestions. Thanks I'll have a good old gander when I get bac from glasto as I'm on a half day today

12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I take it you already have a server running your current DMS so they will like it better when you tell them that WSS is free.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. skulkerboyo

I hinted at it before but basically our legal dept have "identified" the need for this software and have been very specific. I want to look at other offerings though just in case theres something better but my hands are tied really so really I'm just going to be doing comparisons then probably the eventual setup and admin.

Its one of those where they've made up their minds and I'm just doing the bit for the directors to look at and sign off. Shame really

14. skulkerboyo

Really?

I'm looking for info but cant find any

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Just go back to the good old days of sticking all of your documents into filing cabinets, nothing will get lost or misfiled, easy to find with index cards :twisted:

16. skulkerboyo

Love it

The I.T. director will love it too

Just think of the savings

17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If it's legal bods to placate - well, for info, I work at a law firm :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. skulkerboyo

Autonomy may just do fine then

I'll be off to glasto in an hour but will look at it when I return

Thanks people

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Stop rubbing it in and bog off to glastonbury :twisted::p

20. skulkerboyo

Lol

you think this is rubbing it in! Wait il my next holiday in sunny Naples. Home of pizza:D

Hows that for rubbing it in