Do you use Linux in your Lab ?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by Jakamoko, Mar 14, 2004.

?

Do you use Linux in your Lab ?

1. Yes, I have a full Linux installation

87.5%
  2. Yes, but just "run-from-CD"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No

12.5%
  1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

OK, it's question time again ...

I've just started messing around with Knoppix, as a precursor to biting the bullet and doing a real install of Linux.

So, on the presumption that most Folks doing MS certs around here have Windows as the main OS in their setup - how many of you have a version of Linux in there too ?

As always, please cast your vote, but feel free to elaborate on what flavour/ distro you favour most :?:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I don't have an installation at the moment. I heve a couple of old versions lying about, Red Hat 7.2 and Mandrake 7 I think, got the Mandrake with Minasi's Linux for Windows Admins. One of the things I'm going to do when i eventually get broadband is download a new distro and have a play.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have 2 Linux Servers at work, Mandrake 9.1 at home and have recently bought SUSE 9.0 Pro for home.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've only ever installed RedHat but really didn't know what t do after that and having no real need for it I've never tried anything with it again.

Interesting Nugget, can you tell us more on what they are used for, ease of use and administration.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Don't have it home - yet. Did install it once (Redhat) just to see if I could. No real need for it at home.

Use Linux at work though. The mail server runs on it however fairly soon i think we will be changing that to Exchange 2003 at some point.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Si, as you know I've just started the new job but I haven't been let loose (too much) on the servers yet. We have a SUSE 7.3 server setup for print, file, backup and web access. There is also a mirror server for backup purposes, all behind 2 SUSE firewalls.

It was all set up by a professional consultant and we just keep it running as it is at the moment until we upgrade it to support gigabit ethernet. The biggest problem we have is with printing sometimes hanging but we just flush the print queue and then it's fixed.

I bought the same distro for home to play around and to learn with. As far as I understand Mandrake is the friendliest to new users and Red Hat is for professionals. We have SUSE as it is a German distro.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I manage several RedHat 8 web servers running Apache out there on the web. So have a copy that I play with at home and on a hot swap server I have at work.

8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I have only ever ran it from CD, Knoppix was the name of it, Used it to repair a few windows installs as it lets you mount an NTFS partition.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I have machines running debian, Fedora Core 1 (RedHat), FreeBSD (Unix) and Solaris (thats on a sun box though)
    I also have VMWare running a few redhat, mandrake and fedora boxes
    I carry around a copy of Slax in my wallet too (Linux Live distro that fits on an 8cm CD)

I use the redhat box for ripping DVDs and music, the debian box is the DNS/DHCP/Apache/FTP server for my network, the redhat box also runs samba 3.0 which intergrates with my 2k and 2k3 boxes

the debian server also acts as my SSH end point and VPN concentrator

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. Kurtph

Kurtph New Member

'ello,
    I'm a mate of Phil's and he's been tryna get me to post on here for ages. So here I am!

I've recently become interested in Linux through the technicians at the school where I work. I got Knoppix which seemed pretty good and comes with the Office clone software in the installatation. Pity I couldn't get my modem working with it though. I've read that is possible to install from CD (even though it's a CD-run installation) but haven't tried it.

I've also got Fedora although until I get either Partition Magic or a new HD it won't let me install. Strange cause I can't get it working in VMware either. Get some weird error message which I won't bore you with.

Anyway, good to see a few Linux fans on here. :eek:

Have fun, :P
    Kurt

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Kurtph - nice to meet you :D Now you've plucked up the courage to post, pop along to the New Members Forum and say "Hello" - we don't bite (much) :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

A better reply option for me might have been "not yet". :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

My setup at work is primarily Linux, the bosses here hate windows or anything MS, its a shame.

So we probably have about 25 servers, 20 linux and 5 windows :?

Varying but mainly red hat 7, 7.3 and 9. One or two SuSE boxes, and some Win2k and WinNT.

Using Red Hat 9 in my "home" lab.

Matt

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  14. MattyW

MattyW Bit Poster

We do development at work on Redhat 9. I've been dabbling with Linux for the last 4 years but only really got serious in the last 18 months. Determined to be exclusively Linux by the end of the year.

Certifications: BSc
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I see you have revived an olde thread Matt but what the heck, I am sure that some of our newer posters can add to the list.

Me for example. I have dabbled in Ubuntu and Simply Mepis. Both are good beginners distros and come packed to the hilt with applications.

I do need to spend more time delving into the core because at the moment I am nothing more than a casual user.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, i use Ubuntu on my laptop. I have still kept XP Pro on there as a) i need it for work and b) plan to do 70-270 after N+......
    I love Ubuntu but as far as job hunting is concerned it appears most people want staff fluent in XP....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Now that I've upgraded VMware Workstation to 5.5, I was able to get Debian to install and remain stable. Been playing around with apt-pinning and finally think I've got a handle on it thanks to Freddy. Debian just rocks. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I have a mixed lab.

1-Win2K3 Server
    1-Win2K Pro Desktop
    3- Debian Machines

One Debian machine is mainly my main desktop but it has a Postresql database server installed and is the print server for the entire lab. I use CUPS as my print server. I also have Proftp for an ftp server installed on this machine. It dual boots to Win2K Pro too.

Another Debian machine is a Samba file server that is integrated into the Active Directory domain. It also has an Apache2 web server, MySql database server, and SQL-Ledger installed on it.

The third Debian machine is another Postgresql database server and soon to be a Bind 9 DNS server too.

My 2K3 server is an DC and DNS server.

I'd expand my lab more but I need another KVM switch before I can do that. I've maxed out the capacity on the one I have and don't have room for another monitor so until I can afford a KVM switch with 8 or more ports I'll be stuck with this lab size.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1