Do you think aliens exist?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

if you had to give a yes or no answer. I would say no.

2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Yes

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Yinfusa

Yinfusa New Member

Yes

4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Yes, of course there is.

The universe is still expanding, there are so many planets that we haven't even seen and just because a planet that we know of or discover looks hostile or inhabitable to us, doesn't mean it isn't inhabitable to a different life form.

Personally, I would love to meet a friendly neighbour from another planet, it would be good to see if its better than ours or just as messed up.

Imagine they do come and we start boasting about our latest processors (10nm ones) and they just reply, yeah we have one similar in our museums, for over 200 zlotties (zlotties = years) we have a 1 million Ghz octa core processor which runs by its self and need no power what so ever.

Right I'm off to read my Bill Bryson book now, a little history of everything ha ha

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Personally think if they existed we would all know by now.. not sure why they would want to keep away from us. Even if they existed and came to visit earth I doubt it would go smoothly as humans can't even get along with different races let alone welcome a new species.

6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I think they'd probably be beyond Quantum Computing :)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Now that just boggles the mind even more ha ha

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

NASA are expecting to be able to answer the question in the next 5 years with current planned missions.

9. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I think "Aliens", by which I mean other lifeforms most definitely exist somewhere.

Why would you assume that if they existed we would know by now? The universe, in terms of it's lifetime is still very very young, and we know from our own planet how long it has taken life to evolve to what it is now, and we can't even get to Mars with a manned mission, so why would you assume other civilizations are so much more advanced? So much more evolved and technologically capable?

Also we are still yet to understand real limits, it could be there are more advanced civilizations, but in fact travelling across solar systems does indeed take 1000's of years regardless of technology advancements. In which case, why would such a civilization happen to fly to our planet, of all the planets out there, just on the chance that there is life? They would investigate near planets first, and we have no evidence yet as to how close other life may or may not be. Also they may live on a very different type of planet and have evolved very differently, so maybe their searching for so called "Goldilocks" planets would be looking for different criterai than earth, and so they may not even consider us as a highly likely destination.

May not be that they are staying away from us, just that we haven't discovered each other yet. Maybe the latest advances and potential abilities in creating wormholes will open up space for us, at least for some level of communication, if not travel. Other life will be found I am sure, whether it will be as quick as NASA would like to believe, I am a little less sure.

Will be interesting to see though, I do hope we make contact in my lifetime with another species. Hopefully a friendly one. lol. I think we have plenty of capability to get on with another species. As a whole, I think humans are tolerant. There are always those who are not, but for the most part tolerance, understanding and acceptance exists in my opinion.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My point is micro organisms and plants would count as 'Alien life'.

Here we have archaea, bacteria, and eukaryote's, but it could be different on different planets.

Many at NASA already believe they have found fossils of alien micro organisms, would a fossil count as proof of 'alien life' ?

11. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would say that constitutes Alien life that has existed, but I think it will take them longer to confirm that they have found living alien life.

I was just responding based on whether it exists, which in my mind was living.

I would definitely count micro's and plants as alien life though, but I do hope we find far more interesting living life in my lifetime.

Maybe in 40 years time we will all be keeping Space Dogs as pets, that would be fun! I think. :)

12. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

By alien I mean

[​IMG]

13. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

That's very specific!! lol.

I do believe other intelligent life exists though. Not sure they will look like we imagine mind!

14. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

What your really talking about is the Fermi paradox which tries to answer the question as to why we are unaware of life outside of earths orbit despite the extremely high probability of it existing. Look it up I find it extremely interesting.

I'm certain that they exist personally however either they are unwilling or unable to talk to primitive civilisations (which we certainly are in the terms of even just the age of the earth against other star orbiting bodies). Or perhaps they are shouting in our faces but we are unaware of how to pick up or translate the signals, we are still using radio waves for the most part.

Look it up there is masses of information on the subject and I find it very interesting reading about these sort of paradox's.

I guess of course we could all just be part Cylon and waiting for it all to happen again.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  15. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Personally, I think it's impossible that aliens (in any sense of the word) can't exist.

When you look at our solar system alone and the billions of planets and stars that there are, it just seems crazy that we are "alone".

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I am in the Yes camp, I for one believe that we are still deemed too primative and dangerous to be let out to the wider galaxy.

Until we can break free from our own solar system and not suffer from time dilation (where the people on Earth would age quicker than the astronauts in space) then we aren't going to be in contact with any intelligent life outside our own planet. We need to invent faster than light (or wormhole) technology to allow that to happen and no one is near that 'yet'

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  17. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Why do pictures of aliens like that always assume that along with their increased intelligence, they would think its a good idea to weigh four stone and have no muscle? Surely it would make more sense for them to be like Prometheus aliens eg massive, ripped and possess Kimbo Slice like left hooks. On another note I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was something put just outside of our solar system that when it detects life, either blows it up or says congratulations here's a laser rife welcome to the Galaxy Army, or your civilization can have a diplomat in the galactic council

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs