Do you sometimes worry that you're too geeky

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by skulkerboyo, Jul 3, 2009.

1. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

All of my friends call me a geek. Some incorrectly call me a nerd

I'm the least geek in my office by a great stretch being mostly a fitness freak. I had always thought that the only thing that qualified me as a geek was my job

So yesterday after upgrading to the latest release of Linux Mint on my home system I retired the the smallest room in the house and cracked out my bathroom reading material. After finishing the chapter on Klingon Grammar in my klingon dictionary I realised they may just be right:oops:

Whats the geekiest/non geekiest thing you guys and gals do then? Oh and have you ever had that "dang! I guess I must be a geek" moment

Sorry no videogame boasts allowed unless its pre NES

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  2. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Geek is beautiful and Nerd is as well!

We shall rule the world!

Oh and I have an Atary Lynx! (take that suckers!) lol :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  3. skulkerboyo

I am soo jealous. I just sold my game gear last month and I still have one of the first runs of the Gameboy. The screens an odd greeny colour. Beautiful

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  4. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I still have a working Spectrum +3 and an Amiga 500+ does that count?

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. cruzader

cruzader Bit Poster

got 8 dell servers stacked in a corner used as a table, id consider that half nerdy.
    old consoles rule tho im still in my early 20s so for me nes/N64 is old :) i use those more than the xbox360/ps3, goldeneye and 1080 on N64 has to be the games i play the most.

6. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

Im a massive collector of old computer and consoles. I have an atari lynx of course and an atari jaguar. I think my favourite is the ridiculous CD32 by Commodore though.

I have converted my attic to store all them in (I have over a hundred different old school consoles / comps) my girlfriend refuses to allow them down into the house. Of course they all slowly sneak back down. I have the Sega Saturn and an NES down at the moment along with an old Mac SE30.

Yes I am most certainly a geek. Don't give a monkeys!!!

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  7. cruzader

cruzader Bit Poster

not a geek before u start on 2nd rack for homeuse or pass 200 devices/units :biggrin

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Amstrad CPC464 (with green screen) for me. Dizzy games and Rockstar Ate My Hamster.

But geekiness surely can't just be measured by how many old computers or consoles you possess? ...

My family think my ordering my books in genre and subsequent alphabetical order is geeky, as well as alphabetically ordered music and DVD collections. Though I think that's OCD...

I had a conversation yesterday with someone about how IT support would function in an Evil Mastermind's lair. I think it's a great area in need of contractors - their lasers / computers always seem to break at the critical moment... that's pretty geeky apparently.

I'll think of more later :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. skulkerboyo

Has a life

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek

Doesnt outside of interest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd

Which would you be? I am most definitely not a nerd

Nice to hear so many old comp collectors. I still have a c64, zx with rubber keys, atari 2600,grandstand and a binatone for pong

Any other geeky hobbies? Games workshop? That kind of thing

10. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

I get called a geek for being able to recite random facts about a given subject. I really do remember some odd stuff :blink

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I used to have a working Amstrad CPC464 with Green screen monitor and built in tape deck, don't know where it is now :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Oh, geeky HOBBIES

I paint Games Workshop when I have the time / inclination - Dark Elves by preference.

I paint (oil) and sketch, and write depressing short stories and poetry.

I read any fantasy fiction I can generally get my mits on, and read Terry Pratchett in German (as I've read English Discworld so many times). I have the LoTR DVDs in German too. And Constatine in German is really good watching.

Learning Mandarin for giggles, alongside my degree.

EDIT: it would appear, apart from social exclusion, that I am a nerd....

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  13. Patch230

Patch230 Nibble Poster

I still do a fair bit of "Tracking" - Renoise, Fasttracker 2 etc when I have a bit of spare time. I also beta test the pc version of Med sound studio - the famous Amiga music production package otherwise known as Octamed. I would imagine that would be classified as "geeky" by some !

Certifications: MCDST MCSA
  14. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Yep I know what you mean!!

Only been in IT for a year now, however, I think I'm slowly releasing the inner geek. Last night I was studying and getting totally facinated with my IT study however at the same time thinking "I really could be doing other things".

I think my drive to just get better and learn more about IT is turning me to geekdom - it's inevitable??.

Glad I'm not the only one though. :p

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  15. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

I have many more bad geekdoms outside of the computer collector role as well. Although I don't organise my dvds I do organise my books by genre and many other pretty bad things. Ugh it feels like revealing dirty secrets! argh!!!

I love it and hate it at the same time!

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  16. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Geek is the new Cool :)

WIP: Exchange
  17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

I AM A GEEK AND I AM PROUD!!

its ok to shout that here, noone i know in RTL looks here!

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  18. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

I remember Octamed, hours of fun with the Amiga and that, I do hear the tracker scene is well and truly alive now. I bet you have more than four tracks at once :)

Doubt I could use a tracker after being so used to Reason and Acid, but I should give it a whirl.

I have been referred to as a geek because of my almost lifelong obsession with electronic music.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  19. skulkerboyo

Lol Tux Dark angel space marine avatar:biggrin. I love it

20. cruzader

cruzader Bit Poster

we need a geeks anonymus