Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I missed this thread first time round, who'd have thought there were so many into martial arts here - we're supposed to be geeks don't you know :biggrin

Quite recently started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - I did No Gi/MMAfor a while (mainly to improve fitness & lose weight) but I've changed to a full Gi class now and it's going good so far. I quite fancy Muay Thai also

I can see the next meet up being a rolling session!

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I'd say martial arts is pretty geeky. Most of the guys I work with have studied some form for quite awhile. They still are slightly shocked that I train MMA. We ostly have karate guys here. There is 1 Judo guy

Was training mainly BJJ while I had my studys on but now its access all areas for me on the training front as my evenings are free. Bring the pain:twisted:

Anyone catch the Machida/Rua rematch?

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Pretty good, though I was winded for a good bit of the class. I'm probably more sore from the stretches than anything. But I need to get more flexible, so it's a good thing.

Got a camping trip with my sons this weekend, so I probably won't have another go until next Monday.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

Nice going! Spent my last training session assisting junior beginners with blocks and counters - E.g. I hit them with a padded tube, they block, and then drive their little, but bony, fists into my stomach.:( Watch out for the little ones - control isn't their strong point!

Last edited: May 11, 2010
    Certifications: HND Computing
  5. BosonMichael

The campout got cancelled... so I went to a class on Friday night. Then another class today... and we did over a hundred pushups. I can't lift my arms, seriously.

But... I've managed to pick up all three of my white belt stripes after only three classes. When the instructor asked me how I picked it up so quickly, I told him that he taught me everything I knew... because I had watched Hayden learn it a couple years ago. :)

I should be able to test for my yellow belt in early June. :ninja

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. piccadilly

piccadilly Byte Poster

I read in a Zen book that 30 minutes of Kung Fu everyday is good for you.

7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Sounds like a good class BM and I'm sure you will nail the grading.

On slight tangent I have been doing Fencing for the last 4 weeks or so as a trail and that is really good fun, if difficult for me because it is all speed and technique as opposed to my usual tact of brute force and ignorance!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Did about two years ITA TaeKwonDo, got to red belt, more of a sport than a martial art really. Good fun but not much use for in the real world.

I also did about 9 months Wing Chun Gung Fu, seemed pretty good but not so much of a workout, mainly technique in class, have to workout in own time.

In Thailand at present did some Muay Thai trainning but in 40 deg C heat its a killer...

Now more interested in softer stuff, learning massage, Yoga, Tai Chi / Qi Gong, etc.

Might also look into Krav Maga at some point.

9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

My sister does Krav Maga and has found it to be a damn good workout, shes enjoyed every minute as far as I know!

Tai Chi is something I looked into recently but none of the local classes are at a time that works for me, I've actually found bugger all in my local town which surprised me because I know there used to be.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

I've always liked the the look of Tai Chi but never bother my lazy ass to do something about it :D

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  11. BosonMichael

Hm. Different teachers must have different teaching methods... because I'm learning a lot of useful real-world stuff.

12. Gingerdave

Very often the case, or the teacher doesnt which bits can be related to the real world. Sounds like you have a good 'un there

13. jamesm

jamesm New Member

Hi,

I started karate nearly 9 years ago when I was 17. I chose it because a) it was a local club and convenient and b) I was always interested in learning a Japanese martial art with all the formality and discipline that stereotypically goes with it.

Also, I was in 6th form at the time and compared to my mates a real light-weight, so I thought I better toughen up!

I've found over the years that the constant practise has made me fitter and less prone to injury (touch-wood!), as well as given me more physical confidence. It has also strengthened my bones and joints. It made me stronger than I was before, although my physique hasn't grown a great deal through karate - I have used weight training to do this, which obviously has helped my punching/kicking power in turn.

I also started boxing a while back, as I wanted to see if I could hack boxing training, and getting repeatedly hit in the face without feeling shell-shocked...! Boxing lessons have given me a new insight into fighting, and desensitised me to proper rough-treatment. In terms of longevity though, I think a traditional martial art (karate/kung fu/ju-jitsu etc) has more scope for personal development (given my experience with boxing so far).

Ju-jitsu is a fascinating art. I hope you enjoy your training, whichever art you choose!

WIP: CCNA
  14. BosonMichael

Yeah, I think so. Yesterday, I learned some escape techniques. Even after grabbing on to the instructor's arm or collar (front and back) as hard as I could, he extracted himself each time... and showed me that I can do the same.

15. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

My teacher was a 4th degree black belt, had won numerous competitions in the US.

I stand by my point that I wouldn't want to have to rely on TKD on the streets

In a street fight its generally not such a great idea to kick above the waist, TKD is renowned for flashy kicks designed to win points in a points based sparring competition. Yes they do teach a couple of escape and self defence moves but not really enough to ensure you will be ok on the street.

I've seen skilled blackbelts fall on their ass after drinking a few beers and trying TKD moves.

I also think the 'strong arm' tense styles of Karate and TKD are less effective than the more fluid styles of other martial arts. I've seen Karate blackbelts who could not knock a guy back one pace with a punch after 2+ years training.

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  16. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'd have to agree with Dave. I did TKD, was taught by a 2 time world champion and its my personal opinion that until you get past 2nd dan bb, tkd isn't as effective in a street fight as Jujitsu or boxing. Don't get me wrong, I don't fight in the street but I've done a tournament or two. I loved TKD and think its a fantastic martial art, very flash, quite similar to Karate only with more kicks (due to Japan invading Korea many years ago and banning TKD). I highy recommend it, but if self defence is your aim, go to your local ABC :D

I will drag myself to Jujitsu at some point this year......:oops:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  17. BosonMichael

Doesn't matter what rank he is... it matters what he teaches. My teacher is a 6th degree black belt, as you can see from the page I linked... but again, that really doesn't matter.

Eh? From my limited experience of watching the higher belts, they teach us specifically when and what to do when kicking so you aren't taken advantage of. I guess my instructor isn't big on "flash".

18. dmarsh

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you don't count split kicks to break two boards at once or jumping spin kicks as flash then I guess we are not going to agree on this topic.

Other styles exist for a reason, some historical, but mainly because they address different concerns, a grappler grabbing your TKD kick could make you look pretty silly pretty fast, in fact just a drunken bloke pushing you during your kick could have your head broken open on the pavement...

Lastly TKD doesn't even fare well against other long-mid distance fighting arts like Muay Thai, Boxing or Kickboxing.

Its a great sport but most martial artists agree its not great for self defence, in fact its more likely to make people over confident IMHO.

Now I don't fight on the streets either, and I really enjoyed my TKD, but next time I will pick a martial art that is based more on core principles that work.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  19. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  20. Gingerdave

OK, so you are entirely disregarding a martial art because of its percieved reliance on flashy kicks? look at TKD's componants again.

Wicked kicking, very, very fast kicks based on shortest lines - much quicker than thai.
    Punching, based of Shotokan generally, not the most effective, not the least.

Now which of those is not effective in a street fight?

A good instructor well tell you when certain techniques are effective and will tell you that the only time you kick to the head in a street fight is when they are lying on the floor in front of you :twisted:

I will agree that it is not the most directly applicable martial art to use but it is far from useless. As for it doesnt fare well? I have seen some very close fights between a set of tkd and Thai guys, it comes down to the people.

Also if you put an average boxer against the average jitsuka I would put money on the boxer, as Jitsu is taught with too much reliance on compliant training partners with a distinct lack of resitance from the uki, put simply if a boxer was raining blows the average Jitsuka wouldnt deal with it and would in fact hero block most of them.

If you are looking for pure self defense go and see these guys or go and find a good combatives class as otherwise what you being taught is not directly applicable in a street fight, they will also teach awarness, avoidance, verbal loopholeing, desscalation and the fence as well as teaching you about the physical, mental and legal concequences of the kicking you have just issued.

This is not to brag but I have done the following:
    • Shotokan Karate
    • Free Style Karate
    • Shoranji Kan Ju Jitsu
    • Bishido Ju Jitsu
    • Thai Boxing
    • Taekwondo
    • Escrima
    • PMA
    • Gracie Ju Jitsu
    • Reality Based Self Defence

All of them have been effective in improving my fighting ability, all of them have techniques that work, all of them have techniques that dont or are unasdvised in some situations, does this mean that none of them work for Self Defense and I should just write them off?

And as a final point - if you read any interviews with muggers (see Dead or Alive by Geoff Thompson for a start) then if someone holds themselves with confidance they are generally ignored in favour of someone who more of a target.

So in summery BM - you go and enjoy yourself mate choose the bits that work for you and just try and get through the rest.