Do you practise Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Mar 9, 2010.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

But we're not talking about a woman and her handbag... we're talking about JK and a teensy-weensy bat. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. GrumbleDook

GrumbleDook Byte Poster

Due to dodgy knees (no high impact activities and even swimming properly hurts!) I no longer train.

A variety of mainly soft arts

Judo (1st Kyu BJC and 1st Kyu BJA ... never competition minded enough to get the points for my 1st Dan). I preferred BJC style, having first trained under one of Abbe Sensei's students (Kyu Shin Do - Birkenhead) but appreciated spending summer schools with Hosaka Sensei to *really* get into the fun side of things. Assistant Club Instructor awarded.

A few years of Tomiki Aikido whilst at school was good fun (2nd Kyu and assistant instructor) and would recommend it highly.

Whilst at Uni I too fell into the Shoranji Kan Jitsu (The Jitsu Foundation) too ... based in Crewe & Alsager we enjoyed a good time. Having already done the grading side of things I avoided it as long as I could ... but so that I could be covered for insurance purposes to assist the instructors I had to do some, but stopped once I had my Assistant Club Instructor award. The best fun I had was turning up to the national randori comp and confusing people by wearing white/yellow/orange belts and having to be put in with blue/brown belts not to break people (all because I strangled out someone during the gatamae-waza because they would not tap and the ref, in spite of me warning my opponent was going under, did not stop the fight!) When I dropped out of Uni I continued as much as I could but instructors moving on from the Uni meant the club folded. A real shame.

I dabbled with a few other arts over the years, mainly to improve aspects of my Judo.
    JKD
    TKD
    Kyokushin
    Goju Ryu
    Ninpo / Tai jutsu
    Fencing (yes ... it is a martial art. Just ask anyone who has had his knuckles broken whilst fencing with an épeé)

The difficulty I find now is that when I talk to others about the arts I just have never found a school / instructor that gives me the same feeling that I had when I was younger ... that sense of awe is gone, I am too picky of the differences to the habits I already have. I found this when getting back into fencing locally with one of the instructors ... it was me, not him ... I was not happy to have to unlearn things and really struggled with sabre.

I am still on the look out for a decent Tai Chi school in the area ... I did start but the school shut down as the family running it moved. It is my one hope for something my knees might be able to handle.

3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ah man you are so lucky you're my friend :usa and live 4000 miles away! And its not the size of the bat . . . . :lol:

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. JK2447

Hey Grumble I've only just noticed you mentioning Crewe. As of next week that will be my base location to it was a toss up between a dojo in Crewe or Liverpool. You couldn't give me more details about your Crewe training could you please?

I think Jujitsu is possibly the way forward for me altough if I could fit it in, I've always wanted to do Kendo :)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
  5. simonp83

simonp83 Kilobyte Poster

Very surprised no one has said boxing yet or mma with it being the new "in" thing.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP
    WIP: 70-291
  6. JK2447

I used to box for my county but to be honest with you, I'm too old to be coming into work with a black eye not to mention the 3 mile runs before you hit the bags :rolleyes:

7. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I find that the MMA crowd attacts a... particular attitude in that they expect it to be your life and they frown upon it if its not.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Is that anything like No Kan Doo? I've been into that for a while now.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. JK2447

I love to watch MMA, UFC etc (Bisbing is from my area :biggrin) but I'm not into how aggressive it is. I like a good fight but as a sport, for the fitness benefits, spacial awareness etc. I'm sorry if I'm tarring all MMA with the same brush but the 3 classes I went to had a doorman telling us we attack in two's, one kicking the back of the knee so they go down for the other to bottle them in the face. . . . . definitely not my cup of tea at all!

10. JK2447

I thought you were an 8th Dan grand master at it. . . . . . :twisted:

11. millsie

millsie Byte Poster

Wing-Chun Kung fu.

Been doing it officially for 2 years but had a break for a few years and back to doing it for the last 7 months.

I find its the most accessible out of the ones i've done, (also Karate and taekwondo) Great for general street self-defence and can involve quite a lot of fitness
    , but my classes tend to concentrate on the techniques which I like as you can do fitness in your owntime, makes the most of class time.

No long/high kicks, it focuses more on the centre line theory, with power that comes from accuracy and speed and economy of what you are doing. You practice forms for health and to perfect the movements, blocks and attacks. It can be quite ferocious if taught by certain people but not so by others which I like for the balance of ways of practicing. Also, quite a lot of pad work which is good.

About to do my 2nd grading in a few weeks in front of the "master"! And he really is a master, chinese in origin and not only a master of wing-chun, but a 6th dan brazilian ju jitsu black belt!
    :p

Certifications: N+, CCNA, MCDST
    WIP: CCNP route 642-902
  12. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Sounds like the pit I first trained at. Left pretty sharply. I'm with Trojan Freefighters now. Excellent credentials. One or two thugs try and join up but they never seem to enjoy being submitted my guys way smaller than them so never come back.

I'm injured at the moment - as usual -
    Sadly MMA does attract the "wrong" kind of people

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have been doing Wado Ryu Karate for just over two years now. Good way to keep fit and learn self defence techniques at the same time. Really enjoy it although find some of the more advanced moves (or rather joining them up!) a bit tricky, but I guess it's practice, practice, practice....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  14. JK2447

That sounds good Boycie, I'll google that one. I'm like a sloth these days, hardly ever break a sweat. I could do with a MA thats a good cardio workout

15. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

Can I jump in and defend my sport a bit here.

I think it doesnt reall attract the wrong type of people anymore than any other sport you get to hit people at boxing is maybe the best example.

I train at Volcano fight team and all the guys are pretty decent and the coach wouldnt allow any aholes to ruin his academy.

we train tai boxing boxing and BJJ gii and no gii i love it to be honnest

its a great sport to train in and to translate to self defence

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds like I've met my master. [​IMG]

Cisco lab rat seems to also be a master of No Kan Doo too.

Seriously though I did quite a long time of Judo and started Wing Chun before I left Oz. Did a couple more years of Judo here in Switzerland too before I slipped a disc. :cry:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

It's a traditional style of karate with long stances (generally) and whilst good for keep fit it's not as "intense" (and in my opinion less risk of turning up to work with a smashed nose!) as Kyokushinkai - although I would like to do that one day too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  18. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Richie

I was only saying that in my experiance. I have seen a couple of gyms round here which have been the wrong sort, from the instructor down - perhaps I have let that colour my perception, or myabe you just found a good one :p

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  19. JK2447

Yeah I think to be fair any gym can be hit and miss. It all depends on who's running it. I'd imagine MMA to have a higher percentage of A holes myself tho purely just because its all about fighting. No kata, belts, non combat demo's etc. Each to their own tho, not trying to put anyone off. In the real world MMA is the only way to go if you want to be a well rounded fighter IMHO but I'm a geek from IT so hold my hands up, no expert!

Thanks mate, I'm interested in learning about the different styles. Some can be radically different but under the same banner of "karate" or "kung-fu" I'm finding.
    Yes I hear Joe's been invited over to Okinawa he's that good 8)

You've got to be careful of those servers with verticle DVD drives mate, I've slipped a few disks because of em . . . .:twisted:

20. Richie1888

Richie1888 Byte Poster

maybe a bit of both id say unfortunately itll always be thought of as a blood sport.

ive seen some dodgy places but the one im at is good.

Certifications: See Sig
    WIP: Security+