Do you make use of the pen and boards in exams?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by supernova, Mar 3, 2009.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I wonder if anyone finds using the boards in an exam a great help ?

I have'nt used mine so far.

But i wonder if many people make use of the tool effectively????

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I do when I have had questions about Harry and Sally who are in different OU's etc etc.

Helps me write down exactly what containers they are in so I focus on the question rather than all the other blurb.

The exam I have used it most on was the 70-291, in that I had a questions which was over a page and half on the PC screen. Had to make notes, otherwise by the end of it I had forgotten what they asked!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

I use it before starting the test sometimes but rarely during. For example, I might write down OSI layers or IRQs or reproduce some other kind of chart I've memorized just to use as a quick reference to speed things up, but that's about it.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. supernova

I didn't think you were allowed to do that before you start

5. supernova

That's the problem i have reading a lot of the MS questions that are over 10+ lines

I am thinking of using the board but worried about running out of time.

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

It's meant for notes, not for re-writing the questions!

In addition - You always have to wade through the waffle when it comes to exam questions :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have on a few of the higher MS exams :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. supernova

I'll remember not to end up writing my first award winning novel

9. mattstevenson

mattstevenson Byte Poster

I memorised a subnetting table, and other bits of potentially tricky bits of info, and then wrote it down as soon as I got in there, whilst 'reading' the Ts and Cs. Pretty handy, I guess. I probably would have remember the table without having to write it down then and there though, so I don't know if it was that helpful or not really.

Certifications: Triple A+. Network+, CCENT
    WIP: MCP, ICND2, Sec+
  10. ianconscious

ianconscious Bit Poster

I do.

I find it useful to use the pen and board in the simplest way. Let's say the question has 5 possible answers, and you are asked to identify which is the correct course of action...

On the board I will write:

A
    B
    C
    D
    E

Then re-read the question, crossing off the answers which do not fit the objective. I find this helps me narrow down the correct answer when more than one sound feasible on first read-through.

Certifications: MCSE; MCITP; CCA, etc.
    WIP: JNCIS-FWV
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I also keep a tally on my answers as follows:

Tick - For answers I know I have answered correctly.

? - For answers I'm 80% or above on.

X - For answers I'm using best guess or have no idea on.

With this I work out the number of Ticks over the number Questions to see if I have a passing score and add a bit on for the ? marks.

It just reinforces to me, whether I feel I will pass or not. It's a winning concept I tell you :)

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I randomly make notes about questions, in case I need to go back to them.

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

when i did the A+ I wrote down the IRQs and things like transfer speeds of SATA etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely, particularly with Cisco exams. You're not allowed to go back and forth in Cisco exams - once you hit Next, you cannot go back to that question. Information in one question can absolutely help you in later questions. Plus, it's helpful to draw out scenarios and diagrams. And it's always good to double check your subnetting, even if you can do it in your head... provided you have enough time on the clock.

Yes, it's allowed. You can't copy information from a book or a paper to the board, but you can pull any info from your brain and write it on the board before you start.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I also do something quite similar to this. If I'm absolutely certain on 75-80% of my answers, I won't usually go back and double-check them (on exams that allow me to do so). If I'm not certain, I'll go back and revisit items that I marked for review (which are those I'm not 100% certain of the answer).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. adencool

adencool Bit Poster

I do the same - worked so far (I prefer this method to marking for review)

Certifications: HNC,Mcdst,MCITP:SA,MCTS,MCSA
    WIP: mcitp:ea
  17. supernova

Thanks that's given me some ideas to try with practice tests.