Do you like e-books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Also looking at this
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...69&sr=8-2&pi=SL75&keywords=kindle

But would books be in black and white? Also would this read PDFs?

2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

No I wouldn't go for that one, 8GB is way too small these days you'll be constantly clearing caches etc to free up space with a couple of apps installed. you want something with a minimum of 16GB preferably 32GB, I bought my wife a hudl2 for christmas and she loves it. tbh if work had not given me an iPad I would have one too.

Look around at the major manufacturers and you should be able to pick up something even if its an outgoing model.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Yes I'd go proper kindle over the d2d all day long. It will be black and white but how many tech manuals do you see that are in colour anyway apart from the covers.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  4. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im tempted but unsure about it tbh, I doubt Id really by official kindle books, I have a few pdf books.. unsure of its compatibility

5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

you'd get the same on a tablet, with my old Kindle DX, you can plug it in to a laptop and transfer the PDF's that way or use whisper net where the kindle is given an email address and you email the pdf to the device although I seem to remember that possibly costing a few pence per email because its effectively using the 3g connectivity above its intended purpose.

6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Im more worried about how the text will display on the kindle when viewing pdf files..have you had any issues?

7. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I'd be lying if i said there wasn't a difference between kindle books and straight pdfs, generally though the issues are caused by large borders on some poorly created pdf's but the text is still perfect to read. This though may very well have been resolved in later models as don't forget mine is donkeys years old.

I'm sure some enterprising young scamp has a youtube review of one with pdf's on it, have a look and you'll get an idea. Worst comes to the worst if you buy it from amazon send it back.

8. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I have a kindle paperwhite and its great, but I still prefer real books.

I'd never buy a tablet with a reflective color screen as an e-reader

Kindle can handle Pdfs, but really its far better at handling mobi files. So best to convert them on a computer first. Most e-books can be bought in mobi format.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    Juelz likes this.
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Use Calibre to do ebook management, it will convert to mobi for you as well as mail to the kindle email address, it will also work directly with iTunes and Android devices if you want it to.

I like the Kindle app alot on Apple devices (even the 6+) because I just email to that devices address, books show up in a few minutes. I haven't ever tried reading pdf's on a proper kindle tho.

I would definitely invest in Kindle Unlimited as well, best money I have spent on Amazon in a while, I love reading and it reduces how much I spend on ebooks and also opens me up to a load more authers because of the free books.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

After research and much debate I've decided against getting a kindle. The basic model seems to have complications and overall a 6" screen just wouldn't feel good to me, I struggle on my Samsung 7" which is why I was going to get the D2D 10", I wont be purchasing any kindle books tbh I'd be using PDF files and from research it seems PDFs come with problems in regards to viewing them on Kindle. I am just going to muddle through and use my laptop to read the book I currently need for a study tool. I wont even be getting a 10" tab as a big problem for me is the brightness of the reading from a screen for hours on end so this wouldn't really combat my problem. Thanks for the suggestions though

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I read PDF's on an 8 inch screen (iPad Mini) with no difficulty, as far as Kindle books are concerned they read perfectly well on a non kindle device and the lovely thing with the kindle app is that you can change both the brightness and size of the font to make it comfortable.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. Haroon Mustafa

Haroon Mustafa Byte Poster

I prefer physical books. There is no pride of ownership when buying an e-book

Certifications: Cisco IT Essens - Various College Btech Certs
    WIP: Study CCNA 1 / apprentice at Level 2 Stage
  13. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

PDF's probably do read better on tablets.

The problem is tablets have reflective screens, and short battery life.
    Try reading the latest novel poolside in spain with the sun shining on one, not pleasant...

14. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Update: I caved in and bought an Asus 10" tab, e-book reading-wise it's decent