Do you have to work your notice?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Boycie, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yup, that would do it :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

goddamn small print....:dry

ah well , just 330 days left and counting! lol! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I would check your legal rights on that. I don't think an employer can make you do a years notice period.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

there are certain ways to get out sooner but the fact is, we did sign on the dotted line so it's not them making us, it us that said ok....naively, naturally! lol!

it doesn't really bother me because it's now like a safety net for me and wifey.
    we're not just being thrown out of our house and jobs, 800 miles away from home. we've got a year to prepare for our new careers.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

When i left my previous job to come work in IT, i gave just 3 shifted working days notice. Technically i hadnt signed a contract so there was nothing they could do, but i just sat down with my employer, and said that i had been offered a job, and it was what i wanted to do, and that it was too good an opportunity to pass up, so would have to be giving very little notice since it was temp and they wanted me to start on the monday. They were quite good about it.

If you explain to your boss why you need to give less notice, you may well find that they are flexible with your notice period.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I caught my former employers out in a double edged blade
    they made IT staff sign 6 month probations, with 1 weeks notice, I resigned after 4 months, and the guy lt for wanting all the IT staff to sign longer probations, just this time it wasnt in his favour

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I never signed anything when i joined the company....... :tune

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

You could still be bound by their contract of employment, assuming they have one, if you are aware of the content and have continued to work there for a reasonable amount of time.

You cannot force a person to sign a contract, If they decide not to, for whatever reason. They are still working for the company and are still bound by their rules and regulations.

It's a bit like marriage, you don't have to sign a marriage contract (get married) for the law to see you as a couple. Just living with someone (De-facto) is enough in the eyes of the law.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. knightofnuada

knightofnuada Nibble Poster

That said, anything with a signature on it becomes a legal document ...

Must remember that one about not having contracts - That'll be useful to know!

WIP: A+, Network +, CCNA
  10. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Freddy, that was very well put! :respct

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Nope. As i understand it, under UK law, no contract, no binding. obviously you still have to abide by health and safety, etc, since these are LEGAL requirements, but notice period, etc isnt covered, you can walk in and say 'P*ss off' and walk back out the door, no notice, and theres nothing they can do.

but it is double edged not signing the contract, if the company remember that you havent, then they can do exactly the same thing, they can tell you not to bother coming back tomorrow. Its pretty much like being a temp, and unfair dismissal, etc doesnt tend to work in those circumstances either.

You also dont want to burn your bridges, you never know when you will come across this manager/company again and need a job. if you are going to use the 'I havent signed any contract' at least be nice about it, and give as much notice as you can, and let them know thats what you are doing!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Wow, what a thread. :biggrin

The guy (director) in the interview seemed well impressed and said "it is highly likely we will offer you the job". He also said you will know in 24 hours. This was over 2 days ago, so it looks like i won't have to worry about the notice thing anyhow! :(

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Fergal you may be right but my comments are based on 14 years as a departmental manager.

Our company acquired many other businesses over that period and we did employ people from those companies that refused to sign *our* contract of employment even though their employment with the old company had officially come to an end.

The legal advice we received at the time, is roughly stated in my post, though we never needed to pursue anyone through the courts so it wasn't put to the test.

Boyce, give it time, I can feel something in my water 8)

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Thanks. Pete see my PM. :biggrin