Do You Have A "Professional" Email Address?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Ce127, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

Question as per the title.

I mean I don't imagine for a second it creates a professional image of applicants if your CV shows up with "[email protected]" listed on your email.

I try and refrain from using my [email protected] email address in favour of my [email protected] address, because for some reason in my mind the btinternet.com domain is more grown up than the hotmail.com, but the BT email system is becoming more and more unreliable and I'm wondering what alternatives I should consider.

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Just buy yourself a domain name they are cheap enough these days. the hardest bit is thinking one up that no one else has already snapped up. The generally you either get email bundled in or you can buy it at minimal additional cost.

Its the sort of thing that makes me wonder when people have work vans that they've clearly spent a good bit of money designing the advertising graphics on and its ruined by a [email protected] plastered all over the back.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. Guvnor

Guvnor Nibble Poster

Your first name with the last name will be considered a professional email address, just use any of the decent providers out there Gmail,Hotmail,Yahoo till you are able to make yourself one, all are good.

As a normal average every day user I think having one's on domain is uneccesarry, however that's my opinion.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I always google the email address in the C.V - sometimes it can link to forums etc. so it is worth having an email address that looks professional and if searched doesn't through up any nasty surprises.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Waqas Ahmed

Waqas Ahmed Nibble Poster

Tbh, as far as I'm concerned, especially say with the fact that the internet is a lot older now, and the dotcom boom has been and gone, I'd say that the following format is fine

<fullname><number>@domain.com

Though Im not someone who employs people. This being said, it's never been something that's gone against me really. And I really should have changed my email to [email protected] when "outlook.com" was a thing. If they change again in the future, Im definitely nabbing my full name :D

Certifications: CCNA R&S
    WIP: CCNA ???
  6. Waqas Ahmed

Tbh, if it was an actual company, then perhaps a real domain name, with something like "[email protected]" may be best, but otherwise, if it's for you as an employee going for a job, there is only a finite amount of email addresses you can take (Unless you're my parents it seems. They can BOTH have [email protected] AND [email protected] - I registered their emails maybe 2 years ago)

7. crazy horse

crazy horse Byte Poster

In my opinion as long as it's sensible e.g. <[email protected]> then it's fine. The email address of the applicant is way down on list of pre-reqs. As you suggest childish names aren't really appropriate for a job application and so keep it to something sensible and you'll be fine.

If you really want to, you can buy a domain name, but it's a little over kill. From the CVs I've seen only ~2% have there own domain.

8. Waqas Ahmed

Pretty much. As long as it's something sensible, all is good and not like my 14 year old email that was "[email protected]" :D

Now it's
    <fullname><number>@provider.com

9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

I use my first name and a bit of my DOB at the end. So i have mine set as [email protected].

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have over 14 domains registered to me currently, of those 14 I only use one of them in any kind of professional matter and that's my blogging one.

For most of my emailing I actually use my hotmail account (old and bold enough that I have had my hotmail address since before it was owned by Microsoft (yes, it was purchased by Microsoft back in 1997 so that says how long I have had this particular email address)).
    I don't have any issues using that address for anything, it's not named stupidely and I actually pay money each year to Microsoft to ensure it's never filled with advertisements.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

mines is [email protected], I'm considering getting a professional email address though..

12. Ce127

Ce127 Nibble Poster

I'm genuinely surprised so many people are using standard Hotmail addresses in here

Certifications: A+, MCSA: Windows 7, 70-640, 70-642
    WIP: 70-646
  13. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Well with nearly 18 years of IT work under my belt using a Hotmail account hasn't held me back at all, it's an email address and it works.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  14. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have my own domain and my e-mail address is <firstname>@<mydomainname>

However I also have a bcs e-mail address (which just forwards to the above e-mail).

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security