Do you give presentations in work?

Discussion in 'Polling Station' started by JK2447, May 10, 2015.

?

Do you give presentations in your present job?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. What job?!

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Not everyone is comfortable talking to other people, I work with a guy who is an amazing techy but is the last person I would put in front of a crowd of people.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

Hmmm, hadn't even noticed. Maybe I'm just one hate away from a massacre. who knows . . . . . . :snipersmi

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Ha ha I was only kidding mate. I don't think many of us like giving these

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No, it's not a natural thing for most people, it takes a lot of confidence to be able to stand up in front of loads of people and just 'talk'

Watch some TED clips sometimes, a lot of these are done by people who have little experience of talking to crowds of people.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  5. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Before I started this role 18 months or so ago I didn't really do much if any presenting, never been my thing but partly as I've never really had the need to.

Since moving though I now present all the time, I'm just finishing a couple of days briefing about 20 pre sales techies on some stuff. I probably average 4 or 5 talks a week either in person or web conference to a wide mixture of people, could be technical people, could be C level.

Now I find I just get up there and do it, as I'm talking about stuff I'm supposedly an 'expert' on (debatable ;) ) and it's not in an assessment environment like school etc it just feels a lot more comfortable.

Still get a little nervous when doing something new for the first time, the other week had to give a talk to about 60 internal people about a topic I was given to talk about which was a bit anxious about. I'm sure it went well but always feel I can improve in some way.

Helps massively if you're talking about something you find interesting and enjoy, and also easier if you're not up there 'defending' a piece of work as such.

It definitely gets easier the more you do it, I haven't looked into it but a colleague mentioned there is some organisation that has local meetings/chapters in a lot of places that you can join to help with public speaking which may be useful, but it's just a case of building up confidence.

Pet hates for me at the moment, people asking me to do a talk but not giving me much info on what they want covering, so frustrating. Ranks up there with people saying 'can we have a demo' without saying what they actually want to see ;)

JK2447 likes this.
  6. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Thanks Monkey, that is really insightful, I enjoyed reading it. I think that is a problem for people in general, you don't feel like an expert so don't feel confident about talking about a subject. I reckon based on my own experience and what I've read most of us will never feel like an expert on what we're asked to present so the best thing you can do it ditch that mentality and look at what you do know. It's usually a fair amount and more than enough to get your points and ideas across.
    Similar to you, even if my presentations go well, I am and will always be my own worst critic. There's always something I could have said in less words to achieve the same result. I feel my body language too needs to develop to complete the confident image.
    Cheers mate, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs