Do you belong to a professional organisation?

Discussion in 'Professional Associations' started by JK2447, May 30, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I think I'd make the distinction between professional and trade bodies. Var's etc would def come under trade in my view but individual "serious" IT people would be professional.

Seems a bit of an odd thing for CompTIA to be doing to me.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I ran the above past a Cisco, Juniper, Bluecoat and gods knows what else 'IT Reseller'...his response? What the f*ck is CompTIA?

Means nowt mate, just a marketing ploy to get your money.

A+ is about the only good thing CompTIA do...for me the Network+ was a big let down. However, both exams need to contain questions that have more then one sentence.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  3. itskillsguy

itskillsguy Nibble Poster

Have you ever been a member of comptia? Obviously not.. Cisco - they definatley know them. Juniper, they do too. Look at the list of sponsors of their US Breakaway event!
    How would you know what value they bring to the table? For £150 id give it a go mate. The events alone are worth £150. look at their october event... Intel, Dell, IBM are all sponsoring. Ian french is presenting, as is Steve Clayton. They are big names in the industry.

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

The main problem there is that Comptia has a bigger present in the US than in the UK, so alot more people and organisations will be aware of them over there than here.

Also be aware that there are is also the IT Pro membership from Comptia at $79 (approx £48) per year which is different from the mentioned membership packages aimed at IT Resellers.

While I don't want to knock people with IT degrees (I'm one of them), I do have to say that I've met my fair share of them who have gained their degree, think that they're the dog's b******s and struggle with the A+, and even the C&G's certs in PC support :rolleyes:

The BCS can revoke the Chartered IT Professional (CITP) qualification, this was publicised a couple of years ago. How they would do it/what procedure I don't know off hand. But I would guess it would be very similar to the CEng and other Chartered processes.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

True but the new CITP will also have a different set of criteria. Not sure what will happen to existing CITP's and the new program will be unveiled with other announcements on 18th Sept so not long to wait folks :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. dayab

dayab New Member

nice one m8.. n good luck with your future

7. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi fellow BCS members.

I have a question if you don't mind? I think my CITP membership should be due for renewal some time soon and I'm wondering, if I were to not pay the £140 (something like that) this year, could I pay next year and renew my CITP?

Mercie

Jim

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You can leave it a couple of months until the reminder comes in mate. I haven’t cancelled and then renewed later though.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. JK2447

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I'll tell them I'm a student again and can only afford a pound a week! I just hope we don't have any council members on here, possibly from the south coast called Kev, or I'm screwed!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. jonsey

jonsey New Member

joined BCS back in nov mainly for networking and SFIplus, at the moment im disadvantege by where i live (currently 60+ miles from my branch) - but as i am may be relocating it may then become worth it.

The main critisism i have so far is one i have seen mirrored in the Linkedin group that BCS is becomeing far to IT/Service managment orientated and not enough technicaly orientated.....i can see why. but at this rate i may as well just join the ILM

Certifications: ILM 3, A+, ITIL F,
    WIP: 70-433;70-432
  11. Kitkatninja

That group is going in the direction of where the group members take it, if you want it more technical then start posting more technical questions and/or statements there.

Personally even though I'm a member, I don't really use the linkedin group - I tend to use the BCS own forums more than that. But if I'm honest, I tend to use other forums alot more than those two.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  12. jonsey

jonsey New Member

I didnt explain myself correctly, i meant the complaint is mirrored. not the direction on the group - looking through most of the things promoted by BCS it is in that direction..looking at the ITtraining magazine i recived the other day as an example

page 1 advertising books from BCS - master the moment, working the croup, neurolinguistic programming for project managers, business continuity managment...its the same feel on the main website a lot more focused on the managmetn and less technical orientation.

Dont get me wrong i have found the membership handy to now, and feel that this form of content is needed, but i do feel there needs to be more focus on the tecnical arears of IT as well, as the preception seems to be..there is none.

To get BCS more recognised it does need the byin of managment, but there needs to be some care in building the forest...they dont loose the trees!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011
    Certifications: ILM 3, A+, ITIL F,
    WIP: 70-433;70-432
  13. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

Yup, i'm a ACM student member.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  14. Kitkatninja

The BCS has come along way since the start of the transformation process in 2008, however "yes" they still have a way to go, imo.

We members have to inform the BCS of the areas where the BCS should work on, over the years I have e-mailed the BCS on various thing that I want to see (eg the ICTTech mark, the MCGI/GCGI award for the CITP like they have for the CEng/IEng, discounts for ISEB exams for BCS members, IITP (International IP Professional) program, etc...), however unless more than just a handful of people contact the BCS to let them know what to concentrate on - is it/would it be financially viable to do something that only a very small percent (less than 1%) of members actually want?

-Ken

15. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I've personally mulled over the pro's and con's to joining the BCS and even filled the forms out. What stopped me was simply I didn't feel I would get any benefit to joining at that time (2ish years ago) I suppose at present I would only join if I went to meetings and joined in otherwise I couldn't see the point in membership.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  16. Study4Exam

Study4Exam New Member

It's good to be a member of a professional organization. Professionalism is what makes us different from other educated people.