1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people really go through all this when deciding upon a build?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Top Poster
    of the Month

I have started studying for the A+ and I am watching Mike Meyers Udemy videos.

He is talking CPU caches,multipliers, multicore, hyper-v, system crystal speeds etc.. when deciding upon a build do people really dig down to these fine layers? I didn't know building a system would involve all these considerations. I have known of the most untechnical people to build a computer and I just cant see them sitting down working all this out..

Certifications: MTA Windows Fundamentals, ITIL Foundation, Mac Integration Basics 10.12
  2. dmarsh

dmarsh Terabyte Poster

Modern computers are plug and play. It used to be a bit more complicated with jumpers on the motherboard to set clock speed multiplier etc.

They don't seem to like to drop content from the A+ so they leave a lot of it in.

I think it doesnt hurt to know how a computer really works. Is it necessary to know this stuff to build or fix the average computer ? Probably not.

Certifications: CITP, BSc, HND, SCJP, SCJD, SCWCD, SCBCD, SCEA, N+, Sec+, Proj+, Server+, Linux+, MCTS, MCPD, MCSA, MCITP, CCDH
  3. SimonD

SimonD Terabyte Poster Moderator

I just look for pretty much the fastest components and buy them, build the PC and game :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    WIP: VCP6-CMA, VCAP-DCD and Linux + (and possibly VCIX-NV).
  4. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Good to have an idea but generally its how much RAM can the motherboard support, how much RAM do you need, how big a hard disk, how good a graphics card (if you are into games), how powerful the CPU, what slots are on the PC. If you are buying a newish PC the CPU will support Hyper-V etc.. Don't delve too deeply (obviously you'll need to know info for the A+ exam) and forget about it after that unless you want to open a PC store !

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation