Do people really go through all this when deciding upon a build?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I have started studying for the A+ and I am watching Mike Meyers Udemy videos.

He is talking CPU caches,multipliers, multicore, hyper-v, system crystal speeds etc.. when deciding upon a build do people really dig down to these fine layers? I didn't know building a system would involve all these considerations. I have known of the most untechnical people to build a computer and I just cant see them sitting down working all this out..

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Modern computers are plug and play. It used to be a bit more complicated with jumpers on the motherboard to set clock speed multiplier etc.

They don't seem to like to drop content from the A+ so they leave a lot of it in.

I think it doesnt hurt to know how a computer really works. Is it necessary to know this stuff to build or fix the average computer ? Probably not.

3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I just look for pretty much the fastest components and buy them, build the PC and game :)

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Good to have an idea but generally its how much RAM can the motherboard support, how much RAM do you need, how big a hard disk, how good a graphics card (if you are into games), how powerful the CPU, what slots are on the PC. If you are buying a newish PC the CPU will support Hyper-V etc.. Don't delve too deeply (obviously you'll need to know info for the A+ exam) and forget about it after that unless you want to open a PC store !

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation