Do James Thornton still exist?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by tfwdraven, Oct 30, 2008.

1. tfwdraven

tfwdraven New Member

I've been trying to contact James Thornton for several weeks now; their phone lines don't get picked up, and I never get replies to my emails. I don't even get confirmation that they've been delivered.
    Does anyone here know if they are actually still trading? They owe me a LOT of money.

Certifications: None yet
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

They've probably done one, people do runners when they are skint.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Do you mean these people ?

I've checked their dns :

CheckDNS.NET is asking root servers about authoritative NS for domain
    Got DNS list for 'jamesthorntongroup.com' from i.gtld-servers.net
    Found NS record: ns1.discountasp.net[209.200.166.3], was resolved to IP address by i.gtld-servers.net
    Found NS record: ns2.discountasp.net[216.177.89.10], was resolved to IP address by i.gtld-servers.net
    Domain has 2 DNS server(s)

CheckDNS.NET is verifying if NS are alive
    DNS server ns1.discountasp.net[209.200.166.3] is alive and authoritative for domain jamesthorntongroup.com
    DNS server ns2.discountasp.net[216.177.89.10] is alive and authoritative for domain jamesthorntongroup.com
    2 server(s) are alive

CheckDNS.NET checks if all NS have the same version
    All 2 your servers have the same zone version 1225396628

CheckDNS.NET is verifying if NS are alive
    NS list mismatch: registration authority reports that domain is hosted on the following servers: 'ns1.discountasp.net; ns2.discountasp.net', but DNS server ns1.discountasp.net reports domain to be hosted on 'ns1.discountasp.net; ns2.discountasp.net; ns3.discountasp.net'. Please make sure that you configure the same DNS servers in registrar database and on your DNS

CheckDNS.NET verifies www servers
    Checking HTTP server www.jamesthorntongroup.com [64.79.167.77]
    HTTP server www.jamesthorntongroup.com[64.79.167.77] answers on port 80
    Received: HTTP/1.1 200 OK (Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0) . James Thornton Academy. You need to install or upgrade your Flash Player. Click here if you think you already have flash player installed. Welcome to James Thornton Academy. James Thornton Academy was founded in London in 2002. Our core mission is to provide the highest level of I.T. Training to both I.T. professionals and beginers alike. .As

CheckDNS.NET tests mail-servers
    Domain jamesthorntongroup.com has 3 mail-servers.
    Checking mail server (PRI=10) exch01.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152]
    Error connecting to mail server exch01.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152] port 25 : timed out waiting for connection
    Checking mail server (PRI=20) dc01.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152]
    Error connecting to mail server dc01.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152] port 25 : timed out waiting for connection
    Checking mail server (PRI=30) exch02.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152]
    Error connecting to mail server exch02.jamesthorntongroup.com [62.189.19.152] port 25 : timed out waiting for connection
    Some of your MX do not work properly

Looks like their mail servers are down. They list they are an MS Gold Partner but even so it could be that they have a "problem".

If you've spent money with them etc. I would suggest sending a letter by Recorded Delivery. If Administrators have been appointed they should then contact you.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. tfwdraven

tfwdraven New Member

I'm going to where their offices are supposed to be today. I'll let people know what happens later.

5. tfwdraven

tfwdraven New Member

Well, it turns out they're in receivership. I'm on the list of creditors, bit I'm not too hopeful.
    Self study it is then; I won't be going near training providers again after this.

6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Wow that's tough but it does happen.

Same things with me when I started an MCSE back in 2000. Did the first couple of weeks then got a letter on the Saturday saying don't turn up Monday.

Have you paid out much ? I'd put up £1,000 and got back about 6p so don't hold your hopes up too much. If you paid by credit card you should gte a claim in with your card provider ASAP.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. greenbrucelee

probably a good idea, the other ones will just rip you off anyhow. Good luck with the self study:)

8. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Do they all rip you off?????

9. greenbrucelee

LOL :) you know they do, lets say you get charged £4500 for the A+, N+, MCDST,MCSA and MCSE now you may think thats cheap I say that is a rip off and could be done for about £1200 through self study.

I consider that a hell of a saving.

10. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

mmmmmm choklit

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Let's not go down that road again guys. The OP got the answer that he was looking for so the thread has served its purpose.:biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Crap... I've already made popcorn. :popcorn

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. FreeMan

FreeMan Bit Poster

http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/tradingstandards.bcc

Trading Standards

This page is known as: http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/tradingstandards

IN THE NEWS

James Thorton Group Ltd

It has been reported that James Thornton Group Limited at Faraday Wharf, Holt Street, Birmingham have ceased trading from those premises. James Thornton advertised I.T. training courses covering Microsoft, Cisco and other software packages, promising employment to people from day one.

Trading Standards have received a number of complaints from members of the public advising that the courses were badly taught and tutorial aids were not supplied. This meant that students were unable to complete courses with the appropriate knowledge and therefore unable to sit their exams. Those that did complete the course were not offered employment.

Where students have paid for these courses via credit agreements and the course has not been supplied, we advise them to contact the finance company explaining the situation and to ask to be released from their agreements. This should be done in writing and the letter sent by recorded delivery post.

In the meantime we would ask students to contact our advice lines on 0121 303 6031 or via email to: [email protected] giving the full details of their complaint so that we can collate all of the information required to investigate this company. We will provide further information as soon as possible.

Update - 3 November 2008

A firm of insolvency practitioners has been appointed to assist with the preparation of a creditors' meeting. Details of the company are listed below. The meeting will be held at their offices on 13 November at 11.30am.

Ashcrofts
    601 High Road
    Leightonstow
    E11 4PA.