Do I tell a porky?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by TimoftheC, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

I have an application form to complete for an IT Technician's position, however, the starting salary is £4.5k less than I am on now (although I'm not on a low wage mind you).

I have always been truthful and completed these forms with total honesty, including my current wage, when I apply for jobs (well anything really). However, looking hard at my situation and my ability to only get the occasional invite for an interview, I'm wondering whether telling them my current salary is more of a hindrance than a help. I wonder whether some employers think that the salary gap is too big and that therefore there was no point shortlisting me as no one would be stupid enough to take such a drop in salary :eek:

I am therefore considering shaving 2k off my current salary in an effort to make myself more attractive and more likely to be shortlisted. I suppose I'm really just looking for any possible advantage or to stamp out any possible obstacle to at least getting an interview

What do you lot think?

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  2. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

I knew someone that took a big drop in salary and she said the employer was concerned at the interview but she managed to get it. A little while later she concluded the salary was too low so was looking for a move :)

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Why dont you add a note to indicate that you are open to negotiation on the salary? Or mention it in your cover letter that you are willing to take a drop for the right job.

Lying now (and they will likely find out sometime) sets a bad precedent.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, aware this can happen, however, my financial situation is a lot better than it used to be (i.e. the kids have left school so no extortionate child minding fees to cover) so have no real problem taking a drop - I'd go into it with my eyes open. Plus, working a six day week to top the salary up is a small price to pay for a) getting out of my current situation and b) actually getting a career in an area I enjoy (hopefully :rolleyes:)

MY point exactly Ferg - I think lying does start any relationship off on the wrong foot. However, all the popular guides and advice on job hunting frowns on talking about salary and wage expectations too early. In fact, I don't mention it until they do.

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If you're going to tell a porky, try not to announce it on a public forum before hand...

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm never keen on disclosing salary and don't see why it should be necessary.

A get-around is to put something like c. £14500 so that you're not stating it exactly (you could even say "package c."). Alternatively just state "confidential" and leave it for discussion at interview if it's brought up.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I agree, no reason why you should have to mention your current salary.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This. Either don't state your salary, or state it truthfully and mention that you are willing to take a salary drop. I wouldn't mention it at all unless they ask.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Triton.Deep

Triton.Deep Bit Poster

If they know that you know the starting salary for the position, then you shouldn't be nervous about putting down your actual salary. However; while I DO make it a practice not to play to ardently at the negotiation game early on, I always wait till I'm seeing someone face to face to discuss it.

A simple "Negotiable" is generally acceptable. And honestly, even the whole idea of "what is your salary" is somewhat open to definition. If I'm applying for a job with a major pay upgrade I include all bonus's and incentive plans that add to my cash value to get within the same ballpark(don't include benefits, I mean cash bonuses and incentives). If I'm applying for a job that is a reduction in buying power, then I give the base salary without any of the bonuses as part of it. Again, just to sort of get in the same ballpark. And again, I don't share my salary until I'm looking at them across a table. It's too easy to dismiss folks when you’re still just a number on a spreadsheet.

Don't leave it blank, and don't ever ever lie, and always expect them to check your facts. Be prepared. My two cents at any rate.

J.

PS: On the other hand, it's really almost scary how often employers don't check anything on anyone for anything. Heck, I'm usually happy when they do (had it happen once 10 years so far), they were similarly surprised to find out that I was everything I said I was. Our profession demands a high level of integrity. Nothing ever gets an admin fired faster than being caught abusing his administrative abilities for non-authorized and/or personal reasons. And..sorry for that mini rant.

I hope you get the job and WOW them into giving you more money. :)

Certifications: MCITP EMA, MCTS, MCSE (x3), CCNA, A+,etc
    WIP: MCM for Exchange probably. Not Sure
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I know exactly what you mean and would imagine there are people who would skim through a CV and reject it for this very reason.
    In my opinion, this is the reason why you should stick out from the crowd: you want the job and prepared to put your money (or not in this case!) where your heart is. It worked for me when I changed career over four years ago and it can work for you.

At interview stress how interested you are, time spent on self-study, certifiying yourself, reading articles and dont forget to mention CF!

If asked "how will you cope earning less money" I would suggest replying with something like "i have taken a lot of time and planning to work out my finances and due to savings, finished mortgage (or whatever!) am pleased to be in the position to take a cut in salary to work in the industry i want to"

Best of luck.

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT