1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to have multiple OS installed?

Discussion in 'A+' started by cdrjameson, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cdrjameson

cdrjameson Bit Poster

Just started studying from Mike Meyers' AIO A+ book. Obviously the exam covers multiple OSs and I have only just started Chapter 4: Understanding Windows. How helpful would it be to have a copy of Windows 2000/XP/Vista installed or can I get away with just windows 7?

I am currently only running windows 7 however I have used XP extensively and Vista as little as possible. In the dim and distant past I have fiddled with 3.11 and Me as well. If the consensus is definitely 'get my hands dirty again with the other OSs', would you recommend dual booting or VM software a better option?

2. dales

dales Gigabyte Poster

do they still test in win2k goodness me it would be good to grab a copy of 2k if it seems important in the book, if only to learn about where bits n bobs are in the menu systems, vista and 7 again the menus are different too and exams do tend to enjoy testing you on your memory of where a certain feature is in the menu system. I'd vm everything as long as your computer is fairly modern (4GB ram etc) it will be able to easily handle a single running vm for fiddling with. oracles virtualbox is pretty good for that sort of thing.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. cdrjameson

cdrjameson Bit Poster

Thanks dales; I have now installed Oracle's VM virtual Box and now have 2000, XP and Vista up and running on them. To any others reading this I think it will be/has already been a great help following along in the book on the differences between the three. I am thinking that when I come to do the N+ it will really come into its own though. I don't know too much about Virtual Box but I think I will be learning a bit more about it as I progress through the courses.
    There's a section in Mike Meyers' AIO book that recommends to install Virtual Box instead of partitioning and multi-booting.

4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

the vm box is a good idea, i done that and installed xp on one for my a+. i don't think i got asked a single question on 2000 but that doesn't mean it won't so if you have the OS have a quick fiddle with it and get familiar with the control panel lay out and the folder arrangement

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon