Do I need experience to get certified ?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by doodlebug, Jan 4, 2006.

1. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Hi All

Trying to decide which cert route to take, I currently work in sales so have no hands on IT experience. On the Microsoft website, it says that 1 - 2 years experience is required using the particualr application to get certified ie

"An MCSD for Microsoft .NET candidate should have two years of experience developing and maintaining solutions and applications"

WOuld the lack of experience prevent me from getting the cert ?

WIP: A+, CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It would make it *very* difficult.

Reading about something is very different from actualy trying to do it. What you *could* do is to use a spare machine or two to set up a home lab so you can get hands-on experience.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate that it will much more difficult without the experience, but is the experience a pre-requisite for the cert ?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How would you or they 'prove' or 'disprove' such experience?

Lack of experience won't stop you from starting such a course, but I think you will find the going very hard until you gain such experience.

It all depends on the exact cert you are after, and the way you intend to study for it. In some cases a college will give you plenty of hands-on as part of the course.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd say getting certified and having experience (of some sort) go hand in hand. Remember, what a certification does is "certify" that you are qualified to perform the tasks that are associated with the cert. Here's what Microsoft says an MCSD should be able to do:
    What this means to me is that you need to be able to do more than study from a book and crank out answers on a test. It means you should really be able to "design and develop leading-edge enterprise solutions".

Now that doesn't always mean that you've had five years on the job developing apps in the corporate world but you should at the very least, set up some sort of lab environment that allows you to actually practice these skill sets. Besides, the ultimate goal isn't getting the certification. The goal is to learn, gain valuable skills, and get a job.

Does that help?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

When I started out I had experience in Web design which helped me make sense of 70-305 and 70-310.
    70-306 is very similar to 305.

The really difficult one is 300 as that looks at best practices etc which is VERY hard to learn from scratch, as often there are several correct answers and not 'one out of four'.
    Search the net for books on '70-300'. The only one I could find was in the core MCSD box set.

But hard doesn't mean impossible!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. doodlebug

doodlebug Bit Poster

thanks everyone, my major concern was trhat I'd study, pass, and then be told I couldn't have the cert until I'd worked in the industry for a couple of years. I take the point about what the cert should mean, I'm about to take the Sun Java exam which I'm confident of passing, but am no way good enough yet to be confident of offering my services to an employer

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ah. I get it. Nope. If you take the test and pass, you are certified, even if you've never worked a day in the job. They don't check your CV when you arrive at the testing center. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Short answer, no. Lack of xp won't prevent you from getting certified......

however......

If you're certified and DON'T know what you are doing, you'll be tagged very quickly as a "dumper" and it'll follow you around forever.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you would more likely be tagged as a paper-cert rather than a dumper.

To be honest employers will look for experience and qualifications. Not experience or qualifications.

Paper-certs are people that have the qualifications but lack any real world experience.

Certifications do not prepare you for working in the real world they go hand in hand with practical knowledge.

At the very minimum you should practice what you are learning, you won't learn much by just reading books, you need to get your hands dirty too!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)