Do I need an SSL certificate for a website that allows people to make donations over

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by brianflhome, Nov 26, 2010.

1. brianflhome

brianflhome New Member

It is technically a foundation, a non profit organization website, which will allow people to make donations for the cause. Is purchasing an SSL certificate for this site a good idea?
    If i have to purchase then which one is better for such a site?

2. cosway

cosway Nibble Poster

According to the data protection act (which the government have just realised they can make some money out of) you need to ensure that any information that can idenify a person must be kept secure, both during transit and storage. So I would answer this with a yes and no....

YES
    If you are asking the person for their name or address or anything of that sort. Or providing a members login function.

No
    If all you are doing is putting a paypal donation button on your site (recomended), and not recording who has made a donation, etc..

If you do I need an SSL Cert then unless you buy from someone like verisign (about £300 last time I bought one - about 7 years ago) then microsoft ie will tell the user that you are trying to scam them and scare them away - forever.

I'd go for the paypal donation button though - people trust paypal, and most people have a few odd pounds in their paypal account rattleing about looking for a new home :biggrin

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA, A+
    WIP: MCSE
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

What he said.

The good thing about PayPal is that people often have a few quid floating around in their accounts (from Ebay, or whatever) that isn't worth reclaiming, so it may as well go to charity.

If you have to ask the question, then I would advise you against trying to capture any personal details or handle payments yourself - it can go wrong in so many ways...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Third vote for PayPal donate button. The easiest way to do it. Downside is that you will probably have to pay PayPal charges at some point.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

How come CF and other forums does have SSL then, or is this a different type of member login?