Do I Need a Desktop PC for A+

Discussion in 'A+' started by Hooligan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

Good morning guys,
    So glad it's Thursday - almost the end of the week, thank God.

Anyway
    I will be getting my Mike Meyers all in one 6th edition A+ book tomorrow so I will be hacking away at it this weekend. Here is the question: Do I need a pc to pull apart and mess with whilst studying for my A+?

See, I have a Dell 5150 Dimension that I bought in 2007 - runs really well. I was planning on selling it as my fiance and i have a laptop between us that we prefer. Desktop PC takes up too much room.

Your thoughts?

Appreciated
    Thank you,

Cambil

2. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

Good Morning,

You don't NEED a PC to do the A+ but it certainly will be helpful, especially if you learn easier by practical work. I personally didn't take apart or look inside a computer during my A+ but that is just me.

Good luck with your studies :D

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

As said above, you don't need one to take apart- I would think even looking inside to get a general feel for the components would help :)

4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Er.. why bother with the A+ if you dont intend to delve into grappling with PC hardware.. the theory is pointless without practical experience :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^

You don't need some super duper pc, just some cheap thing that you wont mind taking to pieces and putting back together.

You can pick them up for free or cheap from recycling centers and pawn shops.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. swatto

swatto Byte Poster

He was asking if he needs a pc to pass the A+ - i was just answering by saying he doesn't need one but it would be helpful.

Certifications: BTEC Nat Dip: Software Dev, A+
    WIP: None Yet
  7. Hooligan

Hooligan Bit Poster

Guys

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will hold onto my PC for a little longer.

8. ManniX

ManniX Bit Poster

I think this is highly dependant on your original knowledge in the first place and how challenging you think the book will be for you personally. Obviously, the more you don't know in the first place the more beneficial a working computer will be. (or broken for that matter :P)

I'm nearly done with the book and there wasn't many times I needed to turn to a computer but there was still that odd time where there was a windows shortcut I didn't know about or a different route to a system tool etc. and I wanted to try them out.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
    Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+.. I guess?