Do i go too far

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Mr.Cheeks, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I guess that’s down to company policy. If someone wants to waste time on bebo that’s not my problem but if they visit a website that may cause a security breach with a spyware infection then I want that blocked.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

That is shocking!! I thought that it was common practice to restrict these things.
    I have two different gateways out of my building. The majority of my colleagues go out one (that we control to only allow them to access certain sites - including the social networking sites at lunch time...and again at the end of the day. We also keep a close eye on activity and are constantly adding any unnecessary sites to that list.

There is another gateway for me and my manager...and people whom we choose (according to what they need to do) to have unrestricted access 8)

If there is any dodgy activity, I often monitor and restrict individuals by IP address too (all office desktops have static ip addresses...and we know exactly who those are - laptop users, guests etc who are using dynamic).

Every day we update the email filters to make sure that new vulnerabilities are noted and seen to also.

It's so easy to do - P15535 me off to think that these things would be neglected!!:dry

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

...Sorry! :rolleyes: :offtopic your posts don't offend me Mr C!

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

stay off topic if you like, this is a good read!
    Cheers

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, it's common practice to just ignore the problem and hope that nothing bad happens. Sad, but true.

Note that I said "common practice" and not "best practice"; most companies (and, for that matter, most residences) don't do what they should.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Wow that's so impressive and thanks for the link AJ

I posted the link to the network Admin and this was the response:-

We’ve got an ongoing project to put more security/AV on our email gateway, tis in hand

Sorry to MR C for leading everyone off the topic on this Thread (and thansk to Leehaa):soz

:offtopic

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+