DNS zones help!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by hippy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What zone is on the f+p server on the main site? Does it relate to the internal domain on the DC?

I thought the AD zones were *only* on the DCs. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

AD Integrated zones, as has been said already are only possible on *domain controllers* as the DNS zone is stored as part of the active directory database and as such, is replicated with the normal domain controller replication. As opposed to non AD integrated DNS which are replicated via zone transfers.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Wow man... Exchange is a monster... Exchange on a DC.. eek

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  4. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

well I tried this in my home lab and can definitely say (as has already been said) an AD intg zone will not transfer to a primary non AD intg zone.

I love these kind of questions as they help me / us to find out what we know we know or what we just thought we knew and didnt actually know....you know :D

Jiggy

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

They are, read the next three or four words :P

The f+p has a copy of the AD intergrated zone, but is a primary zone. I was trying to hash it together but ive not really got any options and have to make the f+p a DC.

lol i wish it was exchange :D Its D-O-M-I-N-O :S i cant say the banned word properly :rolleyes:

6. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

I know I know i wanted a beer after a work you know but i know the pub is known for the beer you know I know :P

:D was a good learning experience for me... im currently trying to study the 70-290 but its sooo slow and mehhh i want to do the 70-291 already as this dns stuff is interesting at the moment :)

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Dang I missed this post, but I want to put my two cents in anyway.

It is best where possible to have DNS on a DC to allow AD Integrated Replication.

I know this has been said already, but it makes me feel warm inside using a little of the 70-291 stuff I'm currently studying :D

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  8. Sparky

100% agree, every single DC I have installed has been set up that way. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  9. Sparky

Ahhhh, now it all adds up. :biggrin

Finally! :biggrin

10. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Trust me after Subnetting, DNS and DHCP... the 291 dives into total and utter dryness as well... RRAS and Security :dry

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680