DNS zones help!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by hippy, Oct 17, 2008.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

I have been stuffed into sorting out a DNS problem (no one at work has dns experience).

I set up a new server for new remote site, DC, DNS, DHCP.... It all works swimmingly (forward (AD int), reverse zones) and is in the live network.

I have a problem at the main site, I have had to move DNS to another machine which is not a DC as the origional one was decommisioned.

I can not turn the new dns server into a dc as it is the file and print server.

Basically the new dns server at the main site is not getting its forward look up zone updated (i origionally copied the AD zone but making the main site dns a secondary zone) with machines that are added to the new remote sites forward look up zone (AD).

I am also having a problem with the reverse look up zone updating at the main site updating from the remote sites reverse look up zones.

Thank you if you can help!:oops:

2. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

have you added the servers into the zone transfers tab of the zone seeing as how they are not AD intergrated?

Jiggy

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the reply,

Forgot to mention I set on one of the AD intergrated dns servers, the zone transfer set to "only to server listed on the name servers tab" of which the main site dns server is one.

On Ad intergrated forward look up zones i have 401 records on the main site dns i have 332 (was 392 last night) but i have set DHCP update DNS according to the leases it makes/looses.

4. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Hold fire! It suddenly has the same amount of records as the AD intergrated zones. *shrugs* maybe the zone transfer only transfer the records that server made ? Or maybe im just being impatient... either way i can ping the touchscreens at the remote site now by dns! :D

5. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

hang on...Im getting confused here....is the zone that you have in the main office a secondary zone or a primary zone?

6. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

sorry for the confusion, for the record.

remote: ad intergrated, zone transfers

main: primary.

other remote site: ad intergrated, zone transfers

7. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

well now Im confused....I cant see how an AD zone will replicate to another primary, non AD zone??? My understanding was an AD zone will replicated to another AD zone or a secondary zone but not a primary zone (which makes sense to me). Are you sure the zone at the main site is a primary? Can you manually add a record into the zone at the main site and see if it replicates? Hmmm, maybe I am wrong as you seem certain on the layout / design of your DNS servers....

"wanders off to do some googling on AD"

8. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

ok its not working... Just to check

(im learning dns as i go.. which is a bad idea)

on the main site i join a computerA to the network and it registers in DNS.
    When the main site dns gets a zone transfer it will overwrite the whole zone and so computerA wont be in the forward look up zone?
    The reverse lookup zone for the subnet the computer joins does not get any zone transfers so computerA would still be listed in the reverse lookup zone?

On the dns im looking at i have e.g. computerA in the reverse lookup zone (automaticaly generated by DHCP) but it is not in the forward lookup zone.

9. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

yeah, if Im understanding what you are doing correctly I cant see how it would work. An AD integrated zone will not update a standard primary zone. Im pretty sure you will either need do have another DC in the main office with an AD zone setup or you will have to use a secondary zone in the main office. Alternatively you could have no AD int zones and have a single primary zone at the main office and secondarys at the remote offices (prob not a good idea).

Jiggy

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You don’t have to worry about zone transfers here as you are dealing with a AD integrated zone, also you don’t have to create a zone on an additional DNS server as the AD zone should replicate there if that is how the replication is configured.

Select ‘All DNS servers in the Active Directory forest’ for the replication scope

You might need to add a A record for the second DNS server in the original zone so that the server name can be resolved correctly.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

hey sparky, maybe you could enlighten me as to how this will work as it has been bugging me all day. If he does not have an AD server at the main office (from what I understand the only AD servers are at remote offices), how will the DNS server that he has there get updated? I cant see how an AD DNS intg zone will update a primary zone that is not AD intg.

Not saying you are wrong at all, probably right but could you explain it to me as, if it does work, then Im missing something.

Thanks

Jiggy.

12. Sparky

Which components of AD are we talking about here? Do you mean a full blown domain controller with DNS or just a DNS server running an AD integrated zone?If there is a DNS server on the site then you should be able to replicate the AD zone there.

Also what zones do you have, is there one for company.local (just an example) or is there more zones for DNS resolution?

Select ‘All DNS servers in the Active Directory forest’ for the replication scope for the AD zone and as long as there is a DNS server in the other site then it should get updated. You dont create the zone though as it will be created automatically. (if you expand it too soon it will be empty but give it a few minutes and it will populate itself)

As said you may need to create an A record in the AD zone so it can resolve the name of the other DNS server and then the replication can start.

Edit: anything in the DNS event logs?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  13. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

thanks for the reply Sparky....what you have said makes sense to me and was how I understood it. My problem with the scenario was that if it started out as a secondary zone and then (presumably) changed to a primary zone...how would it ever replicate??? Surely it would be a different zone as it never came from the AD zone properly in the first case as even though the records were the same, it was still only a secondary zone.

I suspect that some wires have been crossed somewhere on this one (probably mine). I think its time to go in search of a Friday night pint

Jiggy.

14. Sparky

Sounds like a plan :beers2

15. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

How can you replicate a AD Integrated Zone to a server with No Active Directory?
    AD Integrated Zones must be replicated to and from Domain Controllers running DNS do they not?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  16. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

You need to deploy a new DC at the main site, install DNS, and once you have the zone set to replicate to 'All DNS servers in the Active Directory forest’ like Sparky said, your main site will have full, AD replicated DNS.

17. Sparky

Select ‘All DNS servers in the Active Directory forest’ for the replication scope for the AD zone.

Rememember you can just install DNS on a server, it doesnt have to be a domain controller. 8)

18. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Bah, I have to go back and do some reading then.
    From my understanding, Active Directory Integrated zones are stored within the Active Directory Database. The only servers with an active directory database are domain controllers, therefore AD integrated zones can only be replicated between Domain controllers running DNS.

If you can somehow replicate AD zone data to a non AD server, that's something they did not cover in my training kit.
    Now standard primary and secondary zones, can be put on any server regardless of it being a DC or not.

19. Sparky

Actually it might be a good idea to test first, all of the installs I have done with DCs have had DNS running on it but I always thought you could replicate the zone to a DNS server if needed.

Wish I still had my Server 2003 lab running!

Edit:
    You are right mate!

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...rv/reskit/distrib/dsbb_act_zyjb.mspx?mfr=true

Got mixed up as you dont have to have DNS running on a DC for it to be a DC but it is recommended, been a long week!

20. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Seems i sparked some questions :)

for the record the main site has a DC (mailserver) and the DNS is installed on the f+p server. All sites are part of the same namespace and domain. Yer i know this is a stupid set up, its giving me a stupid headache...

Well i talked to our support company and confused the hell out of the helpdesk person... *shrugs* got a call back from senior support. They confirmed that the main site dns zone would not update the AD zone, but didnt confirm whether a zone transfer syncs the information or overwrites it. All that was agreed i need to nag my boss to make the f+p server a DC otherwise its going to be a world of pain..... It was my boss and colleage who agreed to install it like this to make this mess in the first place!!!! argh....

Also, you can only make DNS have an AD intergrated zone if its on a DC and i didnt notice an option on another site which has a win2000 server as DC and DNS to make that an AD intergrated zone and auto update without having to enter the name servers.