DNS Zone Delegation - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by neilmowforth, Feb 13, 2008.

1. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

Hi all, I'm new so go easy please!! :)

I'm trying to work my way through the 70-291 book and have got stuck. on page 5-62/63 it talks you through creating a zone to be delegated, then adding host records to it and then creating a delegation.

So, I can create the new zone on server02 quite easily (sub.domain1.local). Adding host (A) record to it is pretty simple too, I add these for both server01 and server02.

It then tells me to log on to server01 and create a new delegation with the same name. However, I can't finish this wizard because at the end it tells me this zone already exists and that I should delete it first.

It might be that Windows Server 2003 SP1 automatically assumes that a new primary zone on another server will automatically be a delegate of the initial primary zone if parts of the name space are the same. When I expand the domain1.local zone info there is a new folder called 'sub'.

Am I just talking rubbish and I should move on, or am I just doing something stupid?

Thank you!

Certifications: MCSA
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  2. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu:twisted:[​IMG]

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  3. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

weido! :)

4. themanwhowas

themanwhowas New Member

ah let me guess. microsoft press. im stuck on the same thing. but i do believe that youre doing it wrong anyway. you dont create the zone on server2. if the zone is created on server2 then why would it need to be delegated to itself? the zone is created on server1, then you run the zone delegation wizard on the parent domains zone and specify the zone to be delegated and the subdomain to delegate to. maybe im wrong. i dont know. thats what i read anyway. ill bookmark this thread so post back if you manage to do it. I NEED TO KNOW!!! :eek:

5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. themanwhowas

themanwhowas New Member

i have sorted the problem for myself. what about you neilmowforth? you done it? i believe that you might be storing the zone data in active directory and server02 is a domain controller. that will mess you up.

log into domain1.local on server02. make a new non active directory primary zone on server02 (grease.domain1.local). log into domain1.local on server01. open dns console and right click domain1.local zone and run new delegation. type grease (domain1.local will be appended automatically).

problem i had with this book was the description of zone delegations. i was under the impression that it was similar to zone transfers but its not. all that is delegated is the name resolution process. not the zone itself.

lesson summary on 5-66 explains it a bit better

7. neilmowforth

neilmowforth Bit Poster

I never did actually, but luckily I can't remember it being in the exam. So all was well :).

The other questions I asked, aboot static routes, was though!