DNS Suffix and NetBios Computer Name

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by stuPeas, May 14, 2007.

1. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

O.K, so im doing the section on DNS. Ive completed how to set up a DNS server on W2000 and am upto the part about cofiguring the client.

Now, a client is being configured on the same machine as the server (dont know if this is important).

Apparently, to configure the client, you need to open the "DNS Suffix and Computer Name" dialogue box and enter the hostname followed by the domain name (i.e, the FQDN). Then its just a matter of going to TCP/IP properties and pointing the host back at itsown IP for the DNS address.

For the life of me, i cant figure out the relevence of this DNS Suffix stuff. What the heck is it???, why do i need it???, Is it something to do with the fact that the DNS client and server are on the same machine???

And what if you are connected to the internet but dont have a domain??, does this mean you cant use DNS (me thinks not!!).

PLEEEEEEEASE help before my brain explodes.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Stu,

From what you describe, I assume you are referring to a virtual set-up where the host operating system is running 2K Server and an XP Client?

DNS is used for Active directory and will not function without it. When you run dcpromo, the wizard will offer to configure DNS for you if you haven't already done so.

The DNS server will need an address for itself to look things up. In your example, the server you are configuring is the DNS server so it is pointing at itself for name resolution.

In a domain environment, if you do not specify a dns suffix on the client it will default at the domains name ie mcsetraining.local

If you want your domain to be access from the t'internet at some time, then yes, you can have a registered domain name.

Some good links you might want to view;

http://www.webhero.org/System/windowsxp_dns.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/gp/339.mspx?mfr=true

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Cheers Boyceee, but I dont think I am talking about the same thing.

This is the theoretical situation. you have set up a dns server on a win2000 server with a computer name of stu1. You create a forward primary zone called design.com and populate the zone file with the records of other machines in your domain.

Now..You must set up a dns client on the same machine, (probably to make use of dns, for any other applications on the server).

Part of the procedure for setting up the client involves entering a DNS "suffix" (in this case, I think its "design.com"), so that the "full name" of the computer is now stu1.design.com.

From what I have managed to find out, one of the reasons you have to enter a dns suffix is to create a "search list". This list helps when a client tries to resolve a name with only a "short" name (i.e. an application presents the client with "stu1" instead of the FQDN). The client appends the dns suffix's from the list ,one at a time, to the short name, and sends the request to the server for resolution.

There is no mention of Active Directiory in the course notes, and we have apparently not created an AD domain.

Thanks Boyce
    Stuart.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)