DNS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networks' started by soroush, Oct 5, 2007.

1. soroush

soroush New Member

hello!! Im so confused at the moment im runnign server 2003 and im trying to setup a DNS server, i dont really understand the principle of DNS that much iv tried googling but i cant see how it relates to AD either. Im also curious on how to actually refer a domain to my DNS at home, oh and anotherthing if im hosting my own dns + domani could i setup exchange at home as well and take control of my emails?

WIP: CCNA, A+, N+, S+
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Active Directory uses DNS to find everything. It simply won't work without it.

Here is a good generic resource for information on the basics of DNS, and links to further resources.

As to your question concerning Exchange, well, if you're having problems understanding DNS right now, I wouldn't suggest that you try to administer an Exchange server quite yet. Wait until you develop your skills some more before jumping into something else new.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. vlb

vlb Byte Poster

hi mate

referring your dns to your domain is done as part of the AD process, if you create a dns server as part of your "dcpromo" process it will create a SRV record on your dns server, this SRV record basically points to your domain controller. then when a client on your network requires a service that is provided only by a domain controller (like addin clients to domain, authentication etc" the dns server knows where the DC is and what service is is offering.

dns is integral to AD for the reason given above. active directory uses DNS for a whole load of things.

i am not to sure about the email thing as i am not to great with how dns works over the internet, i think from memory if you have bought a domain then you need to update nameservers to point to your dns servers (or something like that)

I am sure one of the other gents on here will be happy to set it straight for you (and point out if i am completely wrong in what i say).

:p

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-294
    WIP: MCSE
  4. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

Ok, firstly.. hello :) (dont forget to post in the new members section and introduce yourself)

What sort of experience do you have?
    Are you doing this in your own home or at work?
    Are you running trial version of server 2003? or have you forked out and baught a full copy?

Have you tried looking for a basic book on dns?

Do you mean how it integrates into Active Directory? or how it is installed into Active Directory? or do you not really understand how Active Directory works?

If you buy exchange and install it onto your server you could run emails from your own network, however unless you have loads of other users, or your hosting for a company or your own small business this seems a little extreme just to run your own emails.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I'm also curious as to how much real-world IT experience you have. If you don't have any, studying for the MCSE and CCNA are not going to help you much. Get some entry-level certifications (like A+ and Network+) and get an entry-level IT job. DNS and AD will become clearer when you see it in use... in time.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!