Problem DNS forwarding not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Theprof, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello,

We bought out a company recently and need to intergrate their network to ours... they have their own DNS, DHCP, Exchange, File Server, etc...

We're having an issue with DNS conditional forwarding. When setting up the forwarding the clients are not able to do recursion on our DNS servers. We do have an active connection and we can ping both ways.

What we did in the mean time to get it working is create a secondary zone on their DNS server, have both our and their servers replicate all the records, then add the appropriate DNS Suffix to the DNS suffix Search list and that did the trick. However do to replication, it can generate a lot of traffic which is why I wanted forwarding.

I didn't really have much time too look at this as this at the time because we needed to get this done ASAP, but I would definitely like to know what the issue is. I am currently researching this myself but if anyone can give me a few pointers I would appreciate this...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you run a DNS lookup from each side. For example if you run nslookup from site A (should default to site As DNS server) and change the DNS server to site B, does it resolve ok?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I will have to check that and see, but since you mentioned nslookup, when I created a secondary zone and did an snlookup it did not hit my server, it only worked once I added our DNS suffix. I am assuming this might be the case. The problem is that it's working right now and I can't really test because if I do, DNS won't work until I put it back. I will look into this on the weekend when no one's working.

Thanks Sparky.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No probs mate.

Just looking at your original post you said you needed to add the domain suffix as part of the domain search list to get DNS to work.

I'm just wondering if the name resolution is looking for the host name only (e.g SERVER1) and when it adds the domain suffix (e.g SERVER.domain.local) its looking on the DNS server the current site and won't go any further as the DNS entry doesnt exist.

Apart from the test I already suggested if you can put the conditional forwarder back in and then run another nslookup (with the default DNS server) and type the FQDN of a server in the remote site. I *think* that should work ok and should give you some more info for troubleshooting.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Kind of looks like it... When doing an nslookup, all I get is the DNS server name with the IP address of that DNS server. Then when I go ahead and add the DNS suffix, I would then see the second server... The funny part is that I've done conditional forwarding in the past and never had any issues. The other thing I could do perhaps is setup a stub zone, this would limit the traffic too.

I will have to play around with this.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010