DNS Domains

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Luddym, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey guys, I'm coming to the close of my studies for the 293 and am having a few problems getting my head around child zones.

I know about zone transfers / primary / secondary / AD Integrated. I also know that a DNS domain has to be a contigious part of the namespace so you cant have a DNS domain of microsoft.com and int.dev.microsoft.com unless dev.microsoft.com is also in the domain.

DNS console wise, if you have Microsoft.com, and then in the forward lookup zones create a child domain as int ie (int.microsoft.com) is that automatically part of the DNS namespace? Do you have to add manual A records to point to where the new DNS child domain lies?

Sorry if I sound a little confused or have said it wrong, but I'm just a little confused.

Thanks in advance guys.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  2. nicolinux

nicolinux Byte Poster

You have to create a delegations from the parent domain, pointing to the child domain. You can do that using the wizard or manually.
    You normally create a subdomain and after delegate it to another server.

ps : i am taking the 293 in two days, so check my answers before tu use.

Certifications: mcse win2k3, mcts x4. mcitp enterprise admin
    WIP: 70-680
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I could probably answer this one if my brain would work, however despite numerous mugs of coffee it still refuses to let me think straight.

So...BUMP.

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

When you have one of those days I always think its best to phone in sick to work and stay in bed. You just know the day isn't going to get any better :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

From what I remember (took the exam a while back) if you create a child domain that will create a directory in the parent zone and all the DNS entries will be kept there. You dont need to do anything else although you can replicate the zone to the child DC if you want to. HTH 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the replies guys. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard