DNS AD-Intergrated Zones

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by hippy, Jan 8, 2009.

1. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Morning all,

With AD to AD zone do they automatically refresh or does the notify window need to be set up? Or do they only refresh based on the refresh setting in the SOA record?

Thanks,

2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

AD should automatically refresh based around your replication schedule. You can use Replmon which can be found in Windows Support Tools on your Server 2003. On this you can do lots of things like:

- Monitor Replication
    - Force Replication

It should be covered in the MS Press Book, however a quick guide is located here

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

cheers craigie, True the replication monitor would replicate all partitions in AD.

Ok so based off NTDS the replication will happen betwen 1 to 4 times are hour by default and it will be an IXFR transfer for DNS. But you can still force a zone transfer or replication by pressing the increment button?

Im just confused if the notify in zone transfers (which AD intergrated zones do not really need) is still used? I can see it being used for secondary zones, but not sure if it still a valid option to AD to replicate the DNS zone as soon as a change appears.

Maybe i should read something else and come back to this later....

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For the AD zones you can control the replication in AD sites and services.

Basically if you have two DCs in one site the AD replication is instant however if you configure another DC on another site you can configure a replication schedule.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

cheers sparky,

ok so AD zone to secondary zone i can set the refresh interval on the SOA or the notify window in the zone transfer tab.

Site 1 :AD zone on ServerA (domain1.local) to AD zone ServerB (domain1.local) is the SOA record refresh interval used for anything? Is the Notify window from zone transfers used for anything (e.g. instead of waiting for the replication schedule it does a transfer straight away)?

I see how the SOA record and all the rest of it is used in the normal primary, secondary etc... zones. Just not 100% sure on the AD intergrated zones. Although i have a funny feeling i am just confusing matters.

6. Sparky

The configuration for zone transfers is different than replicating AD integrated zones so I can see why you are trying to get a better understanding of how it all works. :biggrin

Few linkies that might help mate..

AD zone replication: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779655.aspx

AD zone serial number: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/282826

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  7. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

AD intergration (DNS): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc737383.aspx

cheers sparky,

Ok then, so to double check.

The whole zone is not replicated and only the records that have changed.
    The replicating of the DNS zone is done based on AD replication setting.
    The SOA serials are checked to see whether anything needs updating on the Second DC. If the replication SOA serial is higher then replicate.

Just to check with the replication on a single subnet, single site, 2 dc environment the replication of the DNS zone (partition it is in) between the two servers is it done as soon as a change is done (Serial has been increased)? Or based on the NTDS setting for AD replication?

Im enjoying this :):oops:

8. Sparky

The whole zone is not replicated and only the records that have changed.
    - Yes, I believe this was an improvment over Windows 2000 DNS replication

The replicating of the DNS zone is done based on AD replication setting.
    Yes.

The SOA serials are checked to see whether anything needs updating on the Second DC. If the replication SOA serial is higher then replicate.
    - I believe so. I do remember having to change a serial number to force replication when I was troubleshooting a DNS problem a while ago.

Just to check with the replication on a single subnet, single site, 2 dc environment the replication of the DNS zone (partition it is in) between the two servers is it done as soon as a change is done (Serial has been increased)? Or based on the NTDS setting for AD replication?

If you have the two DCs in the same site then the replication is fairly instant, I havent had to worry about replication when the DCs are on the same site. If you want to control the replication you need to create site and also a site link as you may have multiple routes between sites (e.g leased lines and perhaps an ADSL backup)

I just logged onto a DC I have setup and noticed that there is a schedule in the NTDS set for 'once per hour' but the change do replicate quicker than that. hmmmmmm! :hhhmmm

Will need to check your last question...

Should help mate..

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728010.aspx

9. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

ok so when you edit a dns record in an AD zone you can say it is automatically replicated (close enough), but the partition the DNS zone is in is also replicated as per normal schedule (NTDS).

MY brain is in working order today lol. The SOA record in the zone is used to tell the secondary zone of the AD zone when to refresh etc.... but if the serial is incremented it immediately transfers to the secondary zone.

I tell you what finishing the 70-291 book ina week including the labs but not the question chapters at the end really turns your brain to mush for a little while lol.

p.s. the SharkWater documentary is very interesting.

Edit: Forgot to say cheers for the reply again!

10. Sparky

Intra-site replication is instant. If the DCs are located in different physical locations then you can configure a replication schedule.

11. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

Ok cool. Think ive got it now.

12. Sparky

No probs mate. Dont know if you have the kit to do it but setting up a couple of DCs can help when you are trying to learn DNS etc.

13. hippy

hippy Kilobyte Poster

At the moment ive got 1 Dc, 1 member server, 2 x xp clients

got RRAS NAT/dhcp relay/vpn dial in, DHCP (with superscope for xp vpn dial in client and relevant routing options with dhcp relay), DNS (AD zone primary, secondary, stud zone, delegated zone)

*bridged connection* - DC (AD/dns/rras(NAT, vpn dial in)) - LAN segment 1 - member server (dns,rras(dhcp relay)) - LAN segment 2 - xp client

then *bridged connection*(for vpn) - xp client2

Will add another 2 DC: 1 just on the local subnet so as not to confuse replication and another DC connected for site and services via L2tp/ipsec just wish i had a CA. Maybe another cert book will inform me how to set up a temp CA.

May stick 3 of the servers in a triangle with RRAS running and turn on a routing protocol.

so little time so much to play with :D

14. Sparky

That’s a good lab for the 70-291. If you can get another DC on an another subnet then you can play with AD sites and settings.

Looking at it from a cert point of view a CA is covered in the 70-293 and AD sites and services is covered in the 70-294.