DLLS ???

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by philbenson, Jan 25, 2006.

1. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Could someone possibly write a few sentences for me in a simple terms as possible about what DLL files are, and what they do.

The reason I ask is that I'm currently writing an introduction to programming in VB .Net, and I want to explain the advantages of using assemblies over dlls.

Many thanks!

Certifications: MCP, MCP+I, MCSE, MCSA, MCTS
    WIP: CCNA(?)
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Source: wrightcolorgraphics.com

Even better: searchwin2000.techtarget.com

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Thanks for that. So would I be right in thinking then, for example when working with a word processing application, that a DLL file or files would control the operation of the spell checker for example. Another DLL or DLLs would support the print preview feature or actual printing process. Hence if a dll file becomes damaged, the function within the program which is controlled by that dll file would cease to work.

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I can't answer your question Phil, as I only pulled that info from Google, but going from what the links say, it would suggest that may be the case. I'll let others that know what they're talking about answer from here :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think you have it Phil. I look at them as sort of sub-routines that are called when a particular common function is needed.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Yes Phil.
    Dlls are shared resources in a common library, so as in your example, both Word and Excel may use the same dlls to perform a certain function.
    Before .NET is was a real headache as sometimes you would install a new version of software which would overwrite the old dll which would then stop other applications from working properly. This used to be referred to as 'dll hell' and was a major headache for developers.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. philbenson

philbenson Byte Poster

Sounds completely logical. Looking at the concept from another angle then, I guess a particular application with a particular feature would have a dedicated dll file contained within its assembly which provides that function. However because no other applications use that dll file, any problems within it would restrict problems to the parent application.

Whereas a problem with a windows core dll file - such as the dlls that provide printing functionality - which would obviously be shared by all installed applications - would cause more general effects.