DIY stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Mar 24, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im after a new kitchen but i want to do it as cheap as possible as im sure i can get people to help me install it, basically i only want the worktops and cupboards as i have the rest of the stuff. Ive been looking on ebay and i can see kitchens that can be fitted for £1500, or there are ones that offer just the materials, but id have to fit them myself. Before i go putting my hand in my pocket i was just wondering if anyone here has fitted their own kitchen to save money, and which suppliuer did they use???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Ive fitted a few kitchens now, i got my last one from magnet, with all units, worktops, sink, taps and handles etc for just over £1000. And the one i fitted before that was from a MFI sale and was roughly the same price, they are pretty straightforward to fit as long as you plan everything first and check and check again with your measurements before you order, although both companies have kitchen designers who will plan it for you if you take your measurements in.
    Anything else you need to know then ask away :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There you go get raffaz to fit it for you :twisted:

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Not a problem if your going to be my unpaid skivvy:twisted:

If ya want pics of the ones i done so you can see what you get for ya money then let me know.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

I've fitted a few aswell, However I did mine much cheaper.

I have a small kitchen....which helps when it comes to price.

I basically planned the kitchen myself using standard carcase sizes and bought then, flat packed, from B&Q. Got the worktop cut to size by B&Q as they have a cutting service. I ripped the old one out and installed the new one myself. I assembled the new units in the dining room and carried them in as and when required.

hope this helps.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Joking aside, I wouldn't mind, it would get me out for a break from job hunting :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I did my Kitchen from IKEA.

Really easy design tool online so you can make sure it all fits, and it's nice to be able to mix and match doors and handles etc to make it more personal - as the whole lot is compatible.

I did the whole kitchen, which is a decent size (excluding appliances but including cooker hood) for less than £1,500. Really easy to put together and has lasted really well.

Just expect a few complaints if you use a plumber or a sparky to do any of the fiddly bits for you - general moaning about foreign screw threads and metric diameters etc. :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD