DIY project

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Nov 29, 2005.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Just been thinking , has anyone done a full pc build from scratch. Im considering this option as it would be cheaper than the likes of pc world and from the stuff ive heard about certain suppliers of pcs, i think this would be a great idea. Or are there some drawbacks that i have overlooked????

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I think the main thing is to do your homework. Check out what is compatible with what. The first thing you need to decide is what your new rig is for: graphics/gaming, word processing, internet all these things need to be taken into account so that the rig can do what you need it to.

As to where to buy your kit, try HERE for my thread on this subject, with loads of links to suppliers.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used to build my own machines. I no longer do so for several reasons:

1) It is getting harder to get a good match of components unless you have dealer facilities.
    2) Dealer prices for *built* machines are not that much higher than the components (mostly because dealers are fed up with self-builds that don't work - so charge more for parts).
    3) A dealer build comes with a guarantee.

I would only buy parts from PC World if I was handed a big cheque and was allowed to disclaim *all* responsability.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you are going down this route, you might want to see if your suppliers offer kits i.e. motherboard/processor/RAM etc. Some do this because they know that the components will play nicely together. That way you don't have to take any real chances and you still get the satisfaction from building it yourself.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I agree with all the above; do your homework, and avoid PC World like it were hell on earth (unless you think hell would be a nice place to visit).

I was finishing of my latest build, and went there to get some tie wraps, as I'd just ran out. The only ones they had were a pack of 6 by Belkin. For £3!!! For 6 tie wraps!!! Ghastly beasts.

I enjoy doing my own builds, and feel confident to do so for the following reasons:

1) I always research the parts I am putting together, and have a set 'formula' of parts I choose that always seem to play together nicely.

2) I have a trade account with a local supplier; but caution when you are hunting for prices. If you've heard a company has a poor rep for customer service, and are not much cheaper than a competitor - go for the competitor. My BF waited 2 months for 2 x 1Gb modules of Corsair recently. Places like Novatech and Misco should normally be quite good.

3) Do a burn in! Especially if the build is for someone else. But a burn in before you load the PC with your stuff is bound to save tears if it breaks down later.

If you are worried about guarantees, all parts will have a 1 year manufacturer guarantee - you often have to pay to get above and beyond that these days - but read the small print, and make sure you can claim back for accidental damage - eg - your pesky 2 year old nephew comes round and spills his juice all over the back of your PC.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I have to totally agree with Bluerinse.

Look into buying a bundle of kit, esp if this is your first build.

8)

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yeah, as already pointed out Cost is the main factor.
    Having said that with a home built system you can choose everything. Don't forget the cost of the operating system if you are going to use Windows....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT