DIY advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Sep 4, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

If your deciding your house needs a lick of paint do not buy the E Z paint roller its crap. Takes ages for the paint to come through and when it decides it wants to it then decides to take a break literally and has a rest on the carpet and also lets all the paint out for a play around as well, on the carpet.

Im proper fuming, my carpets goosed, even though ive tried cleaning it, it looks worse cause im spreading the stuff around, so ill need a new carpet.

Stick to rollers and brushes, pain in the arse but you mknow where you are with them

a pissed off Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

If you'd have asked I'd have told you that things a load of ****e. This should of course act as a reminder to all that dust sheets should be considered a necessity unless your planning to replace the carpet anyway :p

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

They always try to come up with 'new & easy' (i.e. expensive) ways of getting paint from a pot onto a wall.
    All you need is a decent roller and brush.

Oh, and some sheets to cover your carpet with... :oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Im looking into getting a paint pod but the paint for them is really pricy, like 30 quid a pot for 5 litres, i can get 10litres for 15 quid, and ive been told it has to be dulux stuff

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Sorry to hear that mate, if ya had posted that you were buying one i would have steered you clear. Also just curious why you didnt have sheets down.

Mick

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Dont do that either man, just take your own advice and get rollers and brushes, harris are a good brand.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

I'm very dubious about the crap you see sold on TV. If the products were really as good as they make out the whole world would be using them. Rollers and brushes have been around for generations so what exactly is the problem with them? If you wrap a brush or roller in cling film inbetween coats you'll find it's still nice and moist and ready to go when you next need it. Besides which, the cost of brushes and rollers is so cheap you can dispose of them without incurring a siginificant cost penalty which those bloody awful JML product ads can't do at £30+ a hit.

Never waste money on spray painting systems. The only way you can spray a decent emulsion through the nozzles is if you dilute it heavily beforehand. At that point you might as well through a bottle of coloured milk on the wall.

I agree with Raffaz, the Harris brushes are very good.

As they say: buying a crap product costs you twice as much.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Abacus' were around for hundreds of years, whats the problem with using them rather than calculators?

Progress only happens when people invent new things to try out. Sometimes they take off, sometimes they sink like a stone, but if no-one attempts to improve on the system, nothing will ever change.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Bokkie

Bokkie Bit Poster

That might be so but TV has become saturated by infomercials as they are called. Those are not dedicated to improving the lot of the hapless DIY'er but are motivated by influencing gullible viewers to part ways with their hard-earned cash on products that are not really suited to the job in hand. The transition from abacus to calculator is I think, a different question. There are many Chinese people who still use an abacus and can perform relatively advanced calculations on one faster than they could on a calculator. Left to its own progress I'm still amazed they still use rockets to get into space. Whatever happened to the piece of elastic used in a bygone age.:biggrin

Those were the days.