Display software

Discussion in 'Software' started by The_Geek, Apr 11, 2009.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Does anyone know of a software that will let you display the contents of a second monitor in a window on the first monitor?

The situation is a PC set up with "dual" monitors. What I mean is, the first monitor is a 17" flat screen. The second "monitor" is a projector showing the image up on a screen. Needless to say, you can see the mouse on the projector, but if you right click or try to navigate any menus it's really hard to read. There was suppose to be a small 10" monitor installed beside the 17" just for this reason, but budget cuts removed that option. Yes, this is in a church. So what I'm looking for is a program that will display the contents of the projector in a small window on the 17" flat screen. I've Googled with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

It's not exactly what you want, but you can probably pick up an old CRT monitor for next to nothing/free.

You can then just split the signal, one going to the projector and one going to the monitor.

Alternatively, do you really need the 17" screen to work independently of the projector?

3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Problem is in the sound booth space is an issue.

Yes, that way the congregation won't see last minute changes being made to a presentation on the screens.

This is not the way I wanted it set up, unfortunately the extra $$$$ was not available so we're having to improvise.

4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Just a wild thought, and I haven't got anything to test it with here at the moment, but how about some software designed for impaired vision? I haven't used Windows Magnifier on a dual screen before, but if you could have the output on the second window, that could work.

See where I'm coming from? Perhaps there is some third party screen magnification software that could help.

edit: http://www.blacksunsoftware.com/screenmagnifier.html - maybe?

double edit: that software I linked to should work perfectly, you can set the zoom to 1x and put the output on the second monitor, then it'll just follow your cursor!

5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

You could split your projector output and use a hardware switch to select whether you have PC or Projector view on your monitor.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Have you tried a product called display fusion as it allows mkuch greater management of the displays and is free. I would post a link but I am posting this from my phone *mutters about the iPhone's lack of copy and paste*

Edited:

Here is the link

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  7. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Display Fusion looks a lot like Ultramon, which I already have. More like a taskbar and wallpaper program than what I'm looking for.