Display issue

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Kopite_21, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi Guys,

I am in need of assistance from yourselves. I have a game that I have not played in a while Command & Conquer First Decade (Yes I know it's an old game). I've installed the game on my Laptop and when I try to launch Yuri's Revenge it pops up with a dialogue box saying "Please insert the CD". The game is a genuine copy and I don't understand why it's doing his. Any ideas?

Also if I try and open Red Alert 2 or any of the other Command & Conquer games it launches into the game but the background just turns black with just the mouse cursor that I can see and move.

I've tested other games on the Laptop (Footy Manager, Age of Empires etc) and it launches the other games without any issues.

Also the last time I played C&C on the Laptop it worked perfectly. Also the operating system I am using is Windows 7.

My little cousin has got me back into this as he wants to play me online...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I had the same issue with rollercoaster tycoon, fkin love that game.

I managed to get around that by setting the executable to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 in the exe's properties. Unsure if it'd work on this but could be worth a go.

I've downloaded a ton of old games from gog.com for about £5 a piece, currnetly making my way through theme hospital, that website has taken alot of my spare time recently :D they all run seemlessly on Win7, but have been redesigned to run on newer systems

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  3. Kopite_21

Thanks for your reply Apexes, have just tried this changing to XP SP3 still no look. Trying to play my little cousin online and his is fine. :twisted:

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Worth setting up a dual boot with XP? Providing XP will run on the newer hardware. :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Try changing to a lower resolution, I had the same issue and after I had changed that as well as the compatability, mine worked

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I second Eds suggestion as I have encountered the same issue and resolved it by lowering the resolution.

7. Kopite_21

I have tried lowering the resolution but still having the same issue. Going to have another try tomorrow.

Thank you