Discounted Office and vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Johnd76, Apr 9, 2008.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I think it is legal if you bought it with hardware but then again loads of people buy OEM versions without hardware and thats another way of getting Vista cheap. Does anyone actually pay full price :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. paradoxni

paradoxni Nibble Poster

well if i dig it out of the bin id gladly give it away! ;)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCDST, CCENT
    WIP: Server+
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I didnt think i would get such a reaction after putting this topic on here, amzing to see all the views on here......makes you think tho.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. michael78

Sorry after thinking about it I overreacted and apologise for my comments. I stick by my point but didn't need to be arsey about it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  5. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

No problem mate..........

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Aren't you overreacting juuuust a tad? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. michael78

Hence why I apologised a couple of posts above. Sorry had a bad week at work.

8. BosonMichael

Didn't see the apology until later on down. Considering your last review, it's easy to see why you'd be on edge.

No worries, mate... all is well between us. Just trying to provide the legalities, regardless of the realities.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

hmmm, ......... It all depends what is classed as bending the rules. My GF is a part time UNI student and got a discounted version of office 2007, that she makes good use from.

Does this mean if I want to make a spreadsheet of my cd collection I have to download open office? :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  10. BosonMichael

Not if it's her computer.

11. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Im glad my post has opened the discussion...........Slypie, we all have those days mate...dont worry about it

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well personally i dont understand why Microsoft deems it necessary to offer products at reduced prices to students or teachers. There are many people that dont fit into this category, that may have a legitimate need for this software but can't afford it because of their financial situation. Why does a 6 year old child need Office? Do they need MS Word, how much mail merging do they do, how necessary is Excel to them?

Why schools don't recommend Open Office, which is free, which has a perfectly good word processor and spread sheet program and more, totally deludes me. Or, if they must recommend Microsoft, why not recommend the far cheaper Works package? :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. BosonMichael

Because most of the rest of the world uses Office, for better or for worse.

Because nobody... absolutely NOBODY in business uses Works. It's pretty bad; I can't think of a more unaptly named application.

14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes in a working environment people use Office. sure. But, a six year old kid, or a teacher that doesnt work in an office, doesnt need it and can learn enough about how word processors work from Open Office. The transition from Open Office to MS Word would be a piece of cake, jeez, they are almost identical.

Works comes with MS word now, it has improved vastly over the years. I just plain do not understand why it's necessary for a kid, that isnt going to learn the more corporate features of Office, needs to buy this product. They can learn about word processing and using spread sheets from Open Office. The skills they learn from this free software would be totally adequate for the 'vast majority' of so-called students.. i mean um iPod carrying, game playing, MSN junky, facebook loving (limewire users) :dry

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. BosonMichael

But Microsoft wants to ensure that the transition to the workplace will be smooth for the student (and so teachers will use it and teach it).

Said differently... Microsoft wants to indoctrinate them so that they will grow up being productive using Office and will recommend the continued purchase of Office well into the future.

Nobody is saying that OOo isn't worthwhile... I'm simply addressing why Microsoft would give huge discounts to students and teachers.

16. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You don't get this? How many people do you think would buy MS products if they grew up using Linux? This is MS's way of getting the sheep from the cradle to the grave....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1