Disappointed with new MS certs

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Now I don't know about you guys (those that have achieved and received the New gen of MS certs), but I'm disappointed with them.

Not only have they removed the lapel pin (ok they weren't very useful, but it was something hard and physical considering the amount we have to pay for an exam), but the new certs, imo, aren't nicely designed, are about 1/5 smaller and when you take it out of the pack it look poorly printed - as almost faded (as if they're saving ink).

The nice thing is the MS card, ok they don't show your older gen certs and may only show the cred you've attained (it doesn't show you in what). But that is the only thing that has improved.

Considering the cost, I would have like to see a nicer, professionally designed cert, oh well at least I attained the cred and got the cert :)

That's my little rant of the day...

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I haven't seen the new new ones, but the re-designed MCP ones radiated 'cheap'.
    The old MCP wallet card was good for de-icing windscreens but the new one is really flimsy and you can't even spring the latch to your granny's front door with it.

:(

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

I haven't seen them either, but it might change still. I am MCT from 2000 up to now and the (yearly) MCT cert was also very simple in 2006. I just recentle got my cert for 2007 and was back to the old style. And better still, there was also a 2006 cert in the old style added:biggrin .

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you mind taking some pics so we can see please? 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Mate, I thought the old MCP and MCSA packs seemed cheap. I was very disappointed when I got my MCP certificate as the paper and quality was really crap compared to the CompTIA certs. They actually feel like quality embossed paper and also look good!

I'll have a look at the new one when I'm back at work, but I'm not expecting much if you think they are worse than the old ones. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Kitkatninja

See attached

I'll bring in the originals on Monday :)

I'm still waiting for my MCTS cert, as you can see, even though I was one of the early adopters (you can't get any earlier than the beta exams, I did not achieve the "Early Adopter" cert - I guess that's only available to the non-beta exams)

For the actual physical measurements:

Original & previous cert: 215mm x 280mm
    New (Next gen) cert: 203mm x 254mm

-Ken

Attached Files:

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Uck!!:ohmy

I don't like the colour scheme much!!
    Green and red Hmmm that could of picked nicer colours:biggrin

Also lets face it, the certs look cheap and nasty, for the money paid I would of expected a professional looking cert with a fancy hologram on it. Not something that looks like it's been knocked up in Word Document in 5 minutes!

You know they could of used Adobe photoshop to produce something, well...more professional!8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Agreed that they look quite horrible! Puts a little damper on it all to be honest, who in the world would design them being that horrible, and who would then say " Yeah, excellent mate, look brill" ?

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. Kitkatninja

See what I mean, for the price of the exam, you'd think that they would be a little bit nicer. I believe that template is is Publisher 2007 :biggrin

That's slander, MS using a non-MS product :lol:

-ken

10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well looking at those pictures you've posted Ken, it's really an insult to all the hard work that folks have put into gaining these certs that look like they've been knocked up in 2 seconds in word.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I still think that about my degree certificate :biggrin that's printed on some fancy textured paper, and has a individually stamped emboss of the uni's motif, but other than that its a Word Document again put through mail merge - really disheartening after 3 years hard work! :cry:

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. Kitkatninja

At least the degrees are on textured paper and A4 size, unlike the new certs (just see the size measurements I've posted).

-ken

13. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Are the new ones even on a standard paper/photo size? Try fitting them into a frame!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

wow they changed pretty much everything didnt they. My cert card and certificate is blue and white.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  15. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I agree mines the same, most of my mates have degrees with a coat of arms of the University. Mines a large brown circle with three lines on it, printed (deskjet) on a fancy water marked paper.

In fact the coffee mug (with the University Logo) I bought from the student union shop looks more impressive than the degree:(

16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

I bet yours (the Degree) has the coat of arms on!! :biggrin

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Blue and White eh? Now that's more like it!8) :biggrin

18. Kitkatninja

Yep, got one on the HNC as well :biggrin

This may be showing my age, but I still prefer the original style with the updated logo. :(

-ken

19. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Microsoft changes their style of certs every now and then.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  20. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Yeah like the change of the weather:p :biggrin

Speaking of which has anyone seen a large yellow thing in the sky known as the sun???

Where into July now and I am still waiting for the hot sunny weather??:(