Disable the Administrator account in Windows Server 2003

Discussion in 'News' started by tripwire45, Feb 15, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Disable the Administrator account in Windows Server 2003

When reading through guides about how to harden earlier versions of Windows, one of the recommended courses of action is to rename the Administrator account to slow down potential hackers. In Windows Server 2003, you can take it one step further by actually disabling the Administrator account. But before you take this step, you should first consider the ramifications. You need to have an administrator-equivalent account to perform all of the legitimate security and maintenance functions that the original made possible. Before you disable the Administrator account, make sure you create another account to act in this capacity and assign the permissions that it will need to carry out the duties of the Administrator account.

To read the rest, click Here

Certifications: A+ and Network+
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. zimbo
      zimbo
      i was thinking of this last weekend.. its like the most obvious account along with guest and alot of people just leave it as admin! :twisted:
    2. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      I personaly don't see the point of doing this, as it is a form of 'Security through Obscurity', which is well known not to work too well.

If I have physical access to a machine using a non-standard Admin account name then it just takes me a few minutes longer to crack.

And accessing remotely it makes no real difference at all as long as you use a good password.

Harry.
    3. MarkN
      MarkN
      I tend to copy the admin account, disable the original, and rename the copy to what would look like a normal user account.