Disable CPU on dual PowerEdge?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garyb, May 12, 2007.

1. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hi,
    Got myself into a problem, that I need to fix quick! Some years back I setup 1 development & 1 production SQL server and duly purchased 2 single processor SQL licenses.

Whilst running an audit recently I noticed that the 2 servers [Dell PowerEdge 2650], were dual processor, so I now need to buy another 2 SQL CPU licenses which could set us back £6000 depending on where we buy..

I dont wanna go there, especially on the dev server so I wondered if I could disable 1 CPU in the BIOS [doubtful!], or does anyone know a better solution short of ripping the CPU out and watching my warranty dissapear?

Someone has told me to to use the /numproc=1 switch in boot.ini but I fear Microsoft wont be having any of that, what do you think?

Cheers

G

WIP: MCSA 2003
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dont worry about the warranty, if you have to make a warranty claim just put it back in. :biggrin

As for the boot.ini switch, check the small print of the license.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. garyb

garyb Byte Poster

Hmm, lifes too short:blink Think I better ring them instead.

WIP: MCSA 2003
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Expect to get 10 different answers from Microsoft depending on who you talk to. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs