dipping toes into IT

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by bones, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bones

bones New Member

Hi there ! I'm 37, I have been self employed for 20 years outside of IT, I still enjoy my work, but financially it just isn't as rewarding as it once was , So as a massive PC enthusiast for 10 years, I'm looking for some IT training that I can do alongside my existing occupation, with hopefully a career in IT in the future.

At this point, there is no specific area I know I would like to go into, my initial reaction was to go with TPs, eg. Advent , I've done the "initial " interview and whilst it seems pretty much a "get out of it what you put in" type deal ,I've read all the posts on the forum and like many others , I don't want to waste 6K on something that may not actually appeal to me in 2 years...
    So in these uncertain initial stages, Is a part time compTiA A+ course then perhaps MCDST at my local college the best option for now?

any advice would be gratefully accepted even if the answer is simply "yes" :)

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, bones. I just want to address a couple of your points.

First, in terms of the A+ certification, I don't know that you necessarily need to seek out a part-time training course. If you've gone through many of the threads here at CF, you know that often, we recommend a self-study course...particularly in the more "entry-level" areas of IT. If you have any sort of mechanical/electrical aptitude, you should be able to pick up a copy of Michael Meyers' A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition and, with the help of a spare PC or two to work on, teach yourself the necessary skill sets.

The other thing you mentioned that caught my attention is that your motivation for making a career switch is that you aren't satisfied with the income you make from your current job. Frankly, most people making a career switch into IT at an entry-level position report a pay drop...usually by quite a bit.

There are lucrative IT positions, but you need to advance your skill sets and your experience base, before you are qualified for them...and that could take years, depending on a variety of circumstances. I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, but you should take a look at the decisions you are considering and the realistic results before proceeding.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

what he said ^ plus if you consider studying the A+ then get his book entitled PC Technician streets smarts by James Pyles.

Do not believe the BS these companies tell you about the pay for your first IT job, if you get anything about 14k then your a lucky man.

Welcome to CF (where we tell the truth).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Quality advice given above. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. pfairbrother

pfairbrother Bit Poster

No need to use your and pay for someone to go over stuff you can get from books-particularly for the basic certs e.g. A+. Unless of course you need the motivation that comes from having to attend on a regular basis with assignments etc. :dry
    Try and get hold of a second hand copy of Mike Meyers all in one A+ book or borrow from a library to check out whether the course is for you. If you enjoy reading it and learning new IT stuff then go for it. Self study means you go at your own pace and schedule the exams when you're ready (and save money:biggrin)

Certifications: MCP (70-271)
    WIP: A+. 70-272
  6. bones

bones New Member

Thanks for the quick replys!, Im under no illusion about the financial situation at entry level, its more about getting into something that has potential to grow and I am hoping to learn over 3 years or so. I've had extensive experience building PCs and installing software , but Im also aware hands on "work experience" is second to none.
    For now I just want to get the first steps right ,get some qualifications under my belt, and not start a course or training that's too expensive or too wrong!, So many thanks for the book recommendations and advice! , Over to Amazon I go! :-)