Dilemma!

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Oct 27, 2008.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I have a dilemma. I am reinstalling my OS. Currently I am using server 2008 as a workstation but I need to reinstall the system to be able to play sacred 2.

I have the choice between xp and vista ultimate. Any thoughts as to which one would be preferable and why? I actually like both systems. Xp for using little memory, stable very well looked after in the driver department. Vista for the features and the looks (but not memory management).

Help!!:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I personally would go with Vista and looking at your pc specs, you shouldn't have any problems running the OS and playing games. Plus vista has better security and more features. I think it's also a matter of preference as you seem to be liking both of the OS's.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I had the same choice a few months ago, and I ended up going with old trusty XP. XP is a tad faster (between 5 and 15 percent, depending on which benchmarks you're looking at), and at this point, I really don't need the extra features that come with Vista.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What BM said. I will go with Vista when the speed catches up with xp.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I can't see Vista ever catching up with XP as far as speed is concerned on the same *hardware*.

Source

Looking at the above requirements, i would install XP and take advantage of the fewer system overheads.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

By then Windows 7 will be out :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Ah yes, you mean Vista with integrated SP3.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I'm tending towards that view too. Plus I get a bit more memory available for my virtual machines.

9. Teebor

Teebor Nibble Poster

I would install Vista 64 to get the most out of the memory in your machine, and for DX10

However for a better performing machine I would install XP Pro

Or you could install a 64bit XP Pro ;)

Certifications: A+, Network +, MCSA, CCNA, Coupla MCP's
    WIP: CCNP BCMSN, CVOICE, ITIL
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

XP.

That is all.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Me personnally I would go with Vista 64-bit, actually I'm running that now - but that's personal preference. I already have 6gb of rams installed on my machine for all my virtual PC's, and to be honest I wouldn't touch XP 64-bit edition (I don't believe there's enough support for it).

Plus with Vista there's DX10, so for future games... (unless you're going to be rebuilding your PC every so often...)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

This is why I run xp on my gaming PC if you see my specs in my sig, I have more than enough for Vista but might loose 10% in gaming performance. I would hope by SP2 for Vista they may have made some tweeks to make it somewhere near XP

probably :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?