Dilemma ???

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jul 19, 2008.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

OK, I have a dilemma and require your opinions.

I have been in my first IT job as a Helpdesk Analyst for about one and a half months now. Since starting the job, I have passed my MCDST and should be taking my 70-620 MCTS in a couple of weeks (hopefully MCSA by the end of the year!).

I have been contacted by another company who REALLY are keen to meet me, they where sent my CV by an agency when I was apply for jobs a couple of months ago, so heres the question:

Current Employer - Helpdesk Analyst

Pro's: OK Wage, 1.5 Miles from house, pay for MCP exams, can study between calls. Will be promoted to Senior Helpdesk Analsyt six weeks after Security Clearance (work timeframe for promotion).

Con's: No pension, no bonus, have to wait for security clearance before being allowed onto servers to do things like password resets, user account moves etc. Security clearance should be between two to three months longer. Will get a pay rise once completed six months service, which will be a min of £1K (if I pass 70-620) or maybe £2K (if I pass MCSA).

Potentional Employer - Helpdesk Analyst

Pro's: Extra 2K salary, 14% pension contribution, discounted gym, discounted life insurance.

Con's: Unknown quantity (as in boss etc), 15 miles from home.

I have told the agency that I will get back to them after the weekend.

I'm torn, but am leaning towards staying where I currently am, as I think it will look better on my CV to show Helpdesk Analsyt then Senior Helpdesk Analyst.

I'm definatley looking to leave my current role in the new year as by then I will have out grown even the new role, but I want to think long term strategy rather than short term money increase.

Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What info do you have on the potential job, is it another helpdesk type job? Is there potential to move into a network support position etc. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Same role, but would have access to the server side of things more quickly (I think) as I have to wait for security clearance in my current role.

Being security cleared looks pretty good on your CV. When I was applying for jobs a few months back, quite a few employers stipulated it.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I would stay where you are, and be very careful especially as an agency is behind the 'offer'. Leaving a company after a few months isn't going to look good on a CV, and the extra 2k will be less taken in to account the money you'll be spending on fuel.

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Perhaps go for the interview to find out some more info on the job? You dont have to take the job if it is offered to you.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

There are different levels of security clearance, if a company really wants you, they'll put you through the checks.

7. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Very true, but to play devils advocate the pension is worth around £3K a year so in monetary terms its an extra £5K.

The CV point you raise, is I think, my main concern at the moment.

8. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Good advice, I havent got anything to loose apart from my time.

9. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

First IT job too - with an employer willing to pay for MCP exams, not everyone offers this. I would stick with it for a year, just be patient as you're not going to administrate servers overnight. In time, you may move on to better stuff, and not feel the need to move to a different company.

10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I'd stay where you are and gain at least 18 months of experience or more as this would put you in better stead. Money would make up for itself then, best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell