Digital Photography

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by mojorisin, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I aggree with you Freddy, its definatly a brilliant piece of technology, but as Fortch points out, the type of photography I do doesnt result in me blowing too much up, although it does almost seem to give you an unlimited crop factor doesnt it..

I might pick up the P&S poloroid that has the foveon in it just to have a look at what it can do

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

It matters to the professional eye, and if you are going to be enlarging any of your work. The further you enlarge a picture the more critical the initial resolution and that is a combination of glass quality and sensor definition. The higher the ultimate sensor resolution, the further you can enlarge a photo.

While it doesn't sound like that big a deal initially, say you have a photo that is OK as taken, but if you crop it correctly, it becomes very good. Now you have reduced the amount of information you have to work with, but you still want to make say an 8x10 out of it, or even an 11x14. Then sensor resolution becomes critical, and that's what the pro's were examining.

That, plus most 35mm dslr's only have a sensor the physical size of the apc format in film photography. That further reduces the initial amount of information that can be stored.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Nice purchase Phoenix, I'm jealous.

My dad brought his D200 round a few weeks ago and I was very impressed. Lovely camera, lovely feel to it as well.

My wife and I are still learning allot and we are now attending weddings with a professional photographer (we have quite a few over the summer) and it's great experience. He concentrates on the formal shots with his film camera (Bronica I think) and we take a mixture of formal and candid shots.

In that type of envoironment (to pick up on the autofocus points from earlier) you really don't have time to manually focus the shots. Well the formal shots yes, but not the candids.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. ffreeloader

Hmmm.... I did some more reading on the Foveon/Sigma last night/this morning, and I have to say I have found some pretty nice low light photos taken with the SD10. It doesn't seem to be the problem I have seen people saying it is.

http://www.pbase.com/diwang/image/28678756

The above is one photo out of a gallery of photo's taken with an SD10. If you want to see more of what is in the gallery just click on the image. It will take you to the gallery.

Also, if you would like to see other examples of pictures taken by other users with the SD10 go here. The images, if clicked on will take you to larger images, which if clicked on, will take you to the galleries they came from. There are a smattering of some really nice low light shots taken with the Sigma in some of the galleries.

Also, there is a link titled "more" on the random image page that take you to more images from more galleries of Sigma results.

I think what I really like about the images taken with the Foveon sensor is that they are more "film-like" than the images taken with any other type of sensor. The fact that the Foveon is a truly color-balanced sensor really seems to pay off in ways that a Bayer sensor just can't match because the color sensors in the Bayer are not of equal distribution in the sensor, i.e. there are not equal numbers of the red, green, and blue sensors. As a result any camera with a Bayer sensor must interpolate--or "make guesses about" in everyday speak--the sensor information to reach any type of color balance, and that immediately starts to degrade the image.

5. ffreeloader

Here is one more very good low light picture taken with a Sigma. Look at the amount of detail kept in the low light portions of the photograph, and the lack of blown highlights from everything but the brightest lights in the picture. It's pretty incredible.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=18863986

You have to click on the picture to see the full image.