Digital Home - looking for Info

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Miro, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Hello.
    Many people ask me often how to connect PC to TV, how to integrate lights, alarm etc with PC.
    Generaly I am talking here about "Digital Home". I know how to create home LAN. But I am not very sure how to connect TV wirelessly, how to connect alarm and lights to PC.
    There is CompTIA DHTI+ but I have heard that their standards are suitable for USA only. That means it might not be usefull here in UK. The colours of cables might be different as well voltage and connections types.
    Do you know any resources about Digital Home. Books, websites etc.?
    So far I have found these books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CEA-CompTIA...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247916828&sr=8-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Tel...r_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247916516&sr=1-46

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Where did you hear that it might not be suitable for the UK? Have you asked CompTIA directly?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

It mentions using 110v Ac and black and white wiring etc which are all US standards not UK ones. It should still be ok in teh main if you substitute 110v for 240V and Black/white for Brown / Blue. BUT this wont the the case for all occasions so you do have to be careful especially as you might be dealing with Mains voltages.

However as most of it deals with 24 or 12v connections and speaker wires / LAN etc then the above wont apply. Its the same US to UK in these instances i think.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  4. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

I have heard about the US standards difference from http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread16211.html
    Twizzle said that. And Twizzle explain that again. I will try to check it with CompTIA.See what they will say to me.
    But anyway I have asked for any resources. So do you know some or no?

5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

"The CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ certification is an international, vendor-neutral certification that tests a technician's ability to configure, integrate, maintain, troubleshoot, and comprehend the basic design concepts of electronic and digital home systems. It is recommended that CEA-CompTIA DHTI+ candidates have 18-24 months experience in some area of home integration technology."

It does say it's international, not US based. http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/dhti.aspx

Ken may have a copy or access to the full exam syllabus

Sounds like it could be fun to study tho'

I went to some MS Partner stuff on home integration, especially the Xp Media Centre Edition of Windows. Seem to remember this sort of thing gets highlighted from time to time in the news too (like Ideal Home Exhibition) but very few people actaully achieve full and reliable home integration of technology.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Tht's not quite true, granted it does use the US standard, however by ensuring that you know UK/EU standards you can do most of the conversions by yourself.

You could also do the Microsoft version: Exam 70-625 Connected Home Integrator

That's right, so basically you have 3 options:

1. If you're going to work on mains, do an electrical course like the Electrical C&G 2330, the Electrical Installation C&G 2382-10 17th Edition and/or the Electrical Installation C&G 2391 (for insurance purposes).
    2. Subcontract the electrical work to a qualified spark or
    3. When you do the home-integration work, don't offer the electrical services.

You may want to consider the CSCS PQP's Health & Safety Card?

See here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

Thanx. That makes clear for me what is all about and what certs to take if I want to do that kind of job.

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Personally I won't touch anything that's more than 12v :p

10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

In the Uk your not supposed to do any work in homes on 240v mains unless qualified or you pay for a qualified 17th regulation tester/inspector to check your work after.

21v/24v dc systems anyone can work on and if you stick to your PC, Home Cinema systems and some remote control systems such as lighting you can get away working on just these voltages.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Correct (my father was a qualified electrician and taught electrical engineering at the local technical college). I was being sarcastic and serious - I really don't touch anything over 12v !